Where do you work related to composites and what do you do?

Currently I’m working at a small car factory, where I do the composites. From prototyping to production setup.
I had no formal education, lots of reading and experimenting.
I love copying stuff

Noordoostpolder, small car factory, the one in Lelystad?
in that case, the more you’ll learn, the less you’re gonna like your job :wink:

:wink:

Your the one from nagele, aren’t you? :stuck_out_tongue:
I was at Vabo composites today :slight_smile:

I have a Mechanical Engineering degree. Been working in the Aviation industry for ~10 years, with GE Aviation. I got into composites as a hobby a few years ago, which lead to some interest in pursuing it professionally. I’ve taken several in depth training courses at GE on composites technologies, materials, analysis techniques, manufacturing, testing, etc. Its a very interesting field and I love learning more about it.

Production manager at Aerodine Composites group Indianapolis Indiana.

I’ve worked here for twenty years had the oportunity to learn from some real ambitious leaders for our industry.

We cater to the motorsports industry by providing repairs and new components. we manufacture many components for Top Fuel Drag racing like the front and rear wings for dragsters and spoiler assy for funny car and supercharger injector hats. and safety components for the series like the newest canopy. Indy car series has been the main stay of our business for the best of 25 years. Making one off speed secrets overnight to be ran at the indy 500 for qualifications the next day is one of my fondest memories of my job.

We also hold an FAA repair certification for repairs only.

I also am a old boat builder having worked at Thompson Boat Co , Tiara / S - 2 Yachts , PowerQuest Boat Co , plus Skater , and have been in the busines doing fiberglass repair for some 40 odd years now and still kickin even in my 60’s . :amazed: :wink:

I am a college student studying Aerospace Engineering. Learned a lot working at a small aerospace composite/movie prop company during the summer.

-Tom

I’m a composites tech that started a small composites manufacturing company last year .I was doing custom work on the side for friends and fellow racers for the past 13 years before that. The economy pushed first so I decided to push back .Doing this full time was a dream of mine for some time ,I look back and wonder why I waited as long as I did. It’s just my wife and I in the shop and teaching her has been rewarding thus far .She likes learning a trade that allows her to bypass her disability and we’ve been mainly doing carbon fiber automotive/truck parts .A few fiberglass parts and odd requests come up from time to time as well .Anyone that attended the Composites 2013 expo in Orlando last month may remember seeing her . Some vendors called this week and didnt remember my conversations but did with hers. Were making a great team already , haha .
Our 2 year goal is to develop a new line of carbon/kevlar wheelchairs since she is a incomplete paraplegic . Her titanium chairs aren’t lasting long and the real world testing should be great for marketability . Figured I would post up a little about us as Ive been posting in here lately .The wife made a facebook page while our website is being created ,it doesnt have many pics on it right now .Find us at Carbon34@Facebook.com for likes ,comments , and questions .Our full site will be up soon ,then you check us out at www.Carbon34.com .
Thank you .

I am a software engineer that enjoys building other things besides software. This is a hobby for me (which means you can guarantee that the part is heavier than it must be because I do not both figuring out the structural strength). This is why I mainly stick to cosmetic parts.

ive been making things since i could pick up tools. my dad owned and surf shop in hawaii for a few years and shaped/glassed the boards that he sold there. i learned from him how to shape and glass things - surfboards, primarily. i branched out from there and got really into remote control aircraft, and it wasnt long before i starting using composites to make them.

i got a job working for lockheed martin in 2008, doing rapid prototyping/additive manufacturing in orlando florida. i just recently left that job to work at a surf company in oceanside, california. i just got finished setting up the beginnings of a composites shop here, producing the first set of molds now - actually waiting for gelcoat to tack up :slight_smile:

i have a degree in marketing

so far i LOVE this forum. great information, and great people!!!

-david

We are practically neighbors David. I’m North of you in Laguna Beach.

Mechanical Engineer with the gift of gab that the corporation I work for decided to make me their spokes person for our technology. I have been involved with composites nearly 25+ years now and have a small shop tooling up for a line of race car parts.

Dave, lets get together sometime and chat !

When I get back to CA I wanna join in on this too!

SoCal Composites & Coffee get together!! TET should come as well !

I’ll be back back around the second week of June or so. I’ll post in here about it.

About 10 years ago I started with composite, it started like a hobby, but I do it almost every day. I tried poliester, vinilester, epoxy resin, hand layup, vacuum and resin infusion, until heated mold and resin injection. This year I lost my job in January, then in addition to composite hobby, I bought a very little cnc mill and I started to learn how to use it.
Today I finally start to work into a company that works composite materials, I hope this is the beginning of a beautiful adventure :slight_smile:

A big thanks to this forum that made ​​me learn many new things :slight_smile:

Hello everyone. I work for Piercan USA, Inc. we specialize in composite bladder molding for various facets of industry. We mold latex bladders, which are used for carbon fiber parts in aerospace, sporting goods, automotive and the marine industry. We work with small and large companies and our knowledgeable staff can facilitate your needs.

(not intended as spam, just trying to initiate dialogue)

Welcome Piercanusa! I’ve used your products for years and love them. Thanks for joining!

I’m sorry I waited so long to check back in on this thread!! I would love to get together with you guys! It’s rare that I get to talk to people who actually know composites! I live in “surfboard land” as I call it… Oh the horror stories…

Anyhow… When? Where?? I was just in Laguna this weekend skimboarding and bodysurfing at Aliso beach, only takes about 45 minutes for me to get up there!

-david

I’m an artist and run a business airbrushing artwork for companies around the world. About 20 yrs ago we were approached by Colnago bicycles in Italy and asked to paint a limited edition series on their Carbon fibre bikes, to celebrate their collaboration with Ferrari. The combination of Artwork on the carbon fibre was impressive and drew my interest. Anyway being a fan of Formula 1 and Moto GP, i painted a few cf panels for myself and i love the almost 3d effect of the cf when the clear coat has been applied to the artwork. Now i would like to produce my own panels so will be trying to gain as much info as possible :slight_smile:
Cheers
John