German Advanced Composites In-Mold-Coating

Looking at the website I don’t see a MSDS. I’m wanting to know if it has any isocyanates etc.

Anyone know what if this is just a standard 2K clear coat?

Anyone know how it handles being brushed over a semi-perm release mold surface?
>I imagine it would ball up from surface tension…

Furthermore, how well would it handle laying the fabric in the mold while it’s still a bit tacky?
>My concern is with the use of a semi-perm release, parts literally fall out of molds, and I would be worried about separating the IMC from the mold surface while in the tacky phase and working the reinforcements into the mold.

Thanks.

It is great. You should let it hardn for 24 hours and then there is no tack. It still than reacts with the epoxy and it will not delaminate. It is also a UV protection and is Polyurethan based, I think there are no isocyanates in the IMC.
I have brushed and sprayed it, both works. German advanced should have a semipern release that works perfect with the IMC, but I have also used it with frekote.

Let it cure for at least 24 hours as DDCompound mentioned. Don’t spray more then 3 layers at once or you get air bubbles in it. Lett it rest for 10 a 15 min. between spraying the layers. I use it with Ferro semi and had no problems so far with a pre release. If you want to cure it in the mold and oven do some test. I had a lot of problems with curing it in the mold and in the oven. I now only postcure with the coating. Also I recommend spraying it, safes you a lott of work and problems.

THanks for the replies guys. Seeing as how it’s PU based I’m assuming it has isocyanates. Can anyone provide a MSDS sheet to confirm?

Why does it matter it has isocyanates if I may ask? There is no MSDS sheet only the datasheet you can see on the website.

Isocyanates are very hazardous to respiratory tissues very frequently leading to sensitization and chronic pulmonary problems. This is the same stuff that is in many 2k clears etc. Proper respiratory protection is required with handling and good ventilation to reduce exposure during use.

If is contains iso’s then Im less keen on using it in the garage, unless it’s summer time and I can set up fans for circulation and wear a full face respirator.

Send GAC a mail, they have the MSDS.

Is it possible to cure for less than 24H and use the slight tack to hold the first cosmetic layer in place?

Yes, you can do that.

Wish you luck. The tacky time is maybe 10 min. It works like a 2k clear coat not like a gelcoat.

ya that’s of concern.

I’m also worried about something like this happeneing with the semiperm release agent… second picture

Yes, after 15 min. you can use the tacky IMC to hold the first layer of carbon fiber in place. That way there`s no need to use spray adhesive. I also never had any issues infusing 3 hours after applying the IMC.

Thanks designbikes!

Also good news regarding isocyanates and exposure when applied by brush or other spray free methods.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/research/hsl_pdf/2005/hsl0560.pdf

I have another question. If I plan on infusing a part and place an IMC but want the IMC to be tacky so that the cosmetic layer is placed more easily will I be ok to infuse/cure at elevated temps 60-80C or do I risk print through into the imc?

How much curing of the IMC should be allowed before placing under vacuum for infusion? Before applying heat to post cure/or infuse at elevated temps?

Nice to see someone has come up with a solution for in mold clear coat :slight_smile:

And it is the best one I have ever used. It is very thin and UV stable. So no yellowing of te parts. I have a pair of seats made with the IMC and no yellowing even after 5 years.

You can cure the IMC at 80°C within a few minutes but you can also use the tacky surface of the IMC to hold the first layer carbon fiber fabric in place and apply a higher post curing temperature after infusion.

Would it also be suitable with infusion with a vinylester resin?

can this be used with vinyl ester resins?

Any insight if it can be used with vinyl esters?

In theory it should, but I have never tried it.