German Advanced Composites In-Mold-Coating

Just test it.

It looks like the IMC is impossible to get in the USA. I have tried to email GAC to order 4 gallons of the IMC and they will not reply to my emails. I have also tried to order it from the manufacturer and FEDEX will not ship it.

I see that some use automotive clear coat and others say you can use anything as an IMC. Anyone have any suggestions of an IMC that is compatible with epoxy, has UV protection, and can be layed down at 3-4 mils?

try a search for hptextiles they are the German parent company I think

Thanks for the reply. Yes I tried them. It was the first time that HP Textiles tried to ship the IMC to USA. FedEX said that they are not able to ship it using air transport since they are not able to supply a shippers declaration.

Heiner, apparently the shipping manager there, is very helpful and friendly. He is looking into several other possibilities to ship it here.

That’s strange. I’m pretty sure that the GAC guys are on this site time to time. Might want to try a PM.

Stange. I asked Juergen a question on Oct 15 via the contact section of the GAC website and received an answer the next day.

SS//

Funny, I just found this product after doind some research looking to replace Duratec as an in mold coating. On their website it is shown but when you click on it there is an error that the product doesnt exist. I called and emailed to find out more info. Jurgen emailed me and said it has been discontinued in the American market due to lack of interest in it. I asked him to reconsider, perhaps they just dont have the right marketing or contacts to help push this product. I know that if it is a good product there are countless others like myself that have been searching for this product for years and years.

I was dealing with Jurgen regarding an error in the manual of the Absolute Pressure Gauge and in passing asked him when the IMC would be back in stock.

His answer was that he will not be restocking it since he didn’t sell enough of it to make it worthwhile (and I think it was moving so slowly that it was going bad before he could sell it).

I am considering a clear called Speed Clear from a USA company named MotoStorm http://www.motostorm.com/gpage7.html It seems to have the right properties and it comes in quarts :smiley: which ideal for my hobby work. It is designed to be sprayed, but may work if applied in multiple thin brushed coats with time to let the solvent flash off.

If I decide to go that way, I will test it and post my results.

SS//

I would be interested in the results!

Any updates yet?

No. I have been working on something else.

I did use the MTI hose on a glass plate to make a flat sheet and it works great. It would take a magnifier to see the few very tiny air bubbles at the intersections of the threads.

It will be late spring or later before I get back to the project that will use the IMC. Once my racing season starts, repairs take precedence over building.

I am using this material from Hp textilies - works very good as well with epoxy hand layup as with epoxy resin infusion.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any pictures?

The German Advanced IMC is the HP Textiles IMC. It was imported to the states.
http://shop.hp-textiles.com/shop/advanced_search_result.php?language=en&keywords=hp-imc-0000&XTCsid=h53ogken4b287d67pteckuh0m67d4439&pfrom=&pto=&=

Jergan no longer is bringing into the states because it didn’t sell as well as it should have, as someone mentioned before…:frowning: and as it stands HP textiles isn’t shipping to the states either…:(.

We ship it to the states for some customers, but it is the same paperwork then for explosives :eek:
Shipping is between 440€ upwards, so only if you use a lot it is ok. The shelf life of the IMC is 6 month, if you store it dry and cool it can be 2 years but no warranty.

I too am trying to find a Duratec alternative.

I clicked the link but its a European website.

Where can I get this in the U.S?

This is the product that they no longer supply/stock with their USA distributor. They only stock certain products like the MTI hose from what I understand given that it’s experiencing higher demand.

Just try a regular 2k polyurethane coating. Test it to see if it works with your release system, if it does then away you go.

You just need to be a bit more wary about the strength of the bond between your resin and the coating. If possible, scuff up the surface with a Scotchbrite pad prior to laying up. Even without scuffing, I’ve never had any issues with delamination if I infuse within 24 hours of spraying.

I prefer to use Duratec when I can, but if you’re in a bind…