CarbonMike Evolution I frame

Awesome bike!
How did you join metal to carbon? Is it aluminium or stainless?

Here is another site where a guy made a frame by hand.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/rinard/

what are these?

http://www.carbonmike.sk/Temp/frame_building_12.jpg

Its aluminium. Bonding surface was covered with one fiberglass layer to prevent from galvanic corosion.
Those small pieces are cableguides.

cable guides. got it =)

Thanks for asking! I was looking all over his pictures for the soap dishes but couldn’t find them:D

Hi guys,

here is a picture of my bike with components…

Beautiful… I’d be scared to ride a project like that… I’d rather hang it on the wall.

what was the final weight??
looks awesome!

Final weight is about 17kg. I have a very old scale so I dont know if its correct.
This weekend I was racing on my bicycle on downhill race. Frame held without any problems…

Holy caveman crap Batman! You used a bench top drill press to make the aluminum parts! wow…i’m very impressed…seriously.

I’ve been a professional machinist for 11 years. If you need production parts made let me know… i work at TEK Industries Inc… we specialize in jobs like this using aluminum and steel or stainless steel… whatever the application calls for. All of our machines are HAAS CNC… 7 of them… a VF-0, VF-2, VF-3, Mini Mill, two HAAS lathes as well. I forgot to mention the SuperMax Rebel but it’s going bye bye soon, because it breaks down too often.

You guys amaze me with what you can do with composites… and in this case a bench top drill press!

Come ON 20_rc51_00… i saw the name on the top banner of that website you linked too “Harris” I was like oh man… it is THE man’s website. Ever see Harris made motorcycle parts for race motorcycles? Blows my mind.

Its compositepro here

Havent you done a mk2 of that bike yet???

Hi compositepro,

unfortunately I didnt :confused: I was trying to use infusion for tubes, but I let it be. I will use prepreg, milled AL alloy moulds and homebuild press when the right time will come :slight_smile: (when I will have lot of money to try)… I dont want to make something from low quality composite…

Hey Mike, long time no hear!

I’m working on a CF hardtail, and will be using infusion…some very interesting issues arise there.

Why did you “let it be” as you say?

How were you going about the infusion for the tubes? Using a mandrel and laying up on top? Or closed mold and infusing inside to get a smooth outer finish?

I was researching close-mould infusion… two part female mould, inflammable silicon bladder. It is possible, but its too complicated, its hell to put all dry layers in… preforming is the right way, but there are more problems. Also infusion resins have usually lower mechanical properties, lower fracture toughness… then you look at prepreg bladder moulding and you understand that infusion is not the easyest way to go for mountain bikes…

I will send you the details of how to do this with some other stuff…i do some development work with 2 companies i been using a CNT SYSTEM which is very very tough

Theres also an infusion system which is pretty neat and will simplify the bladder moulding problem no end Im using it and its very strong and especially for stuff like we fiddle with in our spare time

It will probably be easier to get me on here ,I pretty much quit over on the bike building sites and didnt really play a part in it anymore because everyone else who had anything useful to say had left and it had just gone downhill…the forum mod is still living in the past and in denial that things have moved on

CP you have private message…

Hey guys ! It’s my first post here . I’m making my CF downhill frame . I will be using vacuum infusion process with molds and stuff (just waitning for machinist millers to do their job ). For bonding both halfs of frame i want to use separately vacuum bagged single lap . Do i need some special glue to bond it , or normal resin for wet layup will be ok ? I want to use 1 layer of carbon twill for the 1st layer , then 5 layers of carbon-vectran cloth (200tex carbon and 200tex vectran), then again 5 layers of biaxial cloth 160g/m2(2 layers of single axial fabric , 45deg. , joined wioth polyester cord ) and some additional layers of it(6 exactly) in high stress areas . What do you think ? I will press fit all aluminium inserts into the mold , so it will be laminated during infusion .