First Attempt at Wrapping

This is the before

Sanding

Base coat

Hand lay & Epoxy

Back on the car

Not perfect but I’m pleased for it being my first go at it. My workspace, if you can call it that, is not very accommodating but I’ll work with what I got. Starting simple and plan to eventually get into vacuum bagging when I have a little more room to work.

Nice work for your first go.

looks like it came out well. A good piece to start with.

Here is a tip for you to make it easier for a job like that in future:

Lay the cf fabric on a sheet of smooth release film on a flat smooth surface. Instead of poking it with a brush to apply resin (which disturbs the weave and pulls threads etc), pour the resin and spread it with a squeegee as if you were buttering it. When the cf is wet, cover it with a second layer of smooth release film to sandwhich the cf in between them.

Use the squeegee to remove any excess resin and air pockets. This should be easy while the resin is still wet and viscous between the two layers of release film. Then, before you use it, wait until the resin starts to gel slightly. When this happens, it will be more difficult for new air bubbles to get into the resin. It will also start to become sticky, which make it easier to apply without pulling the weave apart by mistake.

Peel off one of the layers of release film, leaving the other on the cf. lay the cf on the part with the sticky exposed side down. It should stick to your part easily at this stage. You can use a brush or a roller to smooth it down against your part, or you fingers (as the rear of the cf will still be cover with the release film).

Leave the release film in place until it has fully cured. At that point, it will just peel off cleanly, leaving a glossy smooth surface finish that requires little to no additional finishing work. It will have none of the white air pocket voids or rough texture usually associated with a skinning process.

Depending on the complexity of the part, I would sometimes want to add a layer of tape around the outside of the release film to apply pressure and hold it firmly (and evenly) against the part. A vacuum bag would obviously be better if you have a pump. The smooth release film would stop the vacuum bag leaving an impression in the surface to spoil it’s appearance.

To achieve an even better result, you can also use Weblock cf fabric. This will give you a perfect weave with little or no distortion in the threads - or… in plain English… a more professional looking part.