First attempt at a "V" Joint using Infusion

Hi, This is my first attempt at a “V” joint on a Rear Wing using Infusion. It certainly isn’t perfect but I have learnt a lot in the process.:):slight_smile:
Sorry for the poor quality pictures.

Regards Warren

Looks good!
Can you give us a bit of detail on how you made the part?

Hi, the wing is made using a two piece mould (upper and lower profiles) The stack is 2/2 Twill - Plain Weave - 2mm Soric - Plain Weave.
Once both halves have been Infused I bond in strengthening ribs every 100mm. Then trim the two halves and then bond them together with expanding foam.

Regards Warren

looks great, what technique did you use to get the V mated like that?

I always use a clear UV resilient gelcoat for any parts that will be exposed to the sun for potentially long periods of time. Normally I would let the gelcoat cure. This time I waited until the gelcoat was tacky, I then laid down the first layer of cloth, using the gelcoat like a spray tack. I could lift and re lay the cloth until I was happy with the alignment. I then just continued with my usual infusion stack. To cut the cloth I put a strip of masking tape along the back edge of each piece, overlapped the two edges and then cut through both layers at the same time. Hope my explanation makes sense.:slight_smile:

Warren

After cutting the V-joint in the cloth how did you get the tape off the cloth without messing up the weave? Or do you leave the tape on the carbon?

I used 1/4" masking tape, so when the two edges had been aligned and cut there was only about 1/8" of tape on the back which I left on.

Warren,
Thank you for sharing your technique really helps out newbies like me.
Erick

Hi Erick, no problem. Glad I could help.

Warren

great, thanks,

here is a method I thought of. Take two sheets of CF and then take a sewing machine and stitch the ends length wise, then open the 2 layers and lay them in a mold that has some tack similar to yours. I picture this working but haven’t actually tied it… any thoughts?

Why not just purchase the fabric already woven in the V configuration ? It looks like it came out alright , thought i would at least ask .No offense intended :slight_smile:

I find trying to overcome problems or finding new techniques more rewarding than buying a ready made solution.:

Warren

I like your thoughts on the sewing technique:smile:
If you try sewing it on a machine I think the fibres may get pushed out by the needle? But hey please give it a go,:bigsmile: I would be very interested to know the outcome.

Maybe trying to cover a piece longer than standard width carbon rolls? ( usually 50")

That’s a good option.

One that’s worked for me is to use 2 layers of different materials like 3k plain weave and 3k twill and tack them together on the table with fusion tac or similar then cut on a mat with a rotary cutter. I think the two different fabrics fighting for movement in different directions works very well.

Todd

well, having a layer of carbon fiber that is essentially cut in half negates the benefits of that layer. using a pre-woven V layer, keeps the strength as it should be. i bet it will look nicer too.

however for argument’s sake here’s the best way to cut carbon without trouble. take another fabric , a light type, around 100gr, preferably plain weave, and using spray glue (that 3M stuff) stick it to the back of the carbon at a 45deg angle. then cut with the scissors and your fabric will stay in place.

True, but for a first cosmetic layer, and something so non-structural as this, it wouldn’t matter.

You might get some weird looking seam. You won’t be able to “fold” the layers flat enough, plus the extra material on the other side of the stitch will leave a lump, and possibly show through on the tool side.

I think it looks great! I haven’t tried to ‘V’ anything yet, but will probably play with it someday.

just wondering