carbon titanium

anyone knows it?
It’s used on pagani frames, I have seen it one time in Valentino Rossi rear fender.
anyone knows it? Advantages compared to carbon fibre? It’s better in compression?

CHARACTERISTICS Nominal
Mass per unit area 317 gr/sqm
Weave 2x2 Twill
Standard Width 1000mm. ± 2,5%
Laminate thickness 0,30mm ± 15% ISO 5084

Nominal Construction WARP WEFT
Fibre description
HR carbon fiber Titanium Inox Steel
6K - 400 tex AISI 316 L Ti 0,16
Thread Count ends/cm. 4,60 ISO 4602 9,50 ISO 4602
weight distribution 185 gr/sqm 137
58% 42%

Yeah Braider http://www.braider.com/Braid-Basics/Decorative-Braids-Colors.aspx used to sell the Tit. thread. I’m sure they still do if you give them a call. You can have it braided with carbon of what ever your pocket can afford along with any type of braid you can imagine. http://www.braider.com/Braid-Basics/Braid-Forms.aspx

Riff on here has experiance with 3D woven carbon/tit. I think his plys were 1" thick each and the titanium was the Z axis thread. see below

Technically speaking, it’s a fake.
It’s a product that has been developed to get some money from reasarch foundations.
I spoke with some people involved with that, who confirmed confidentially that has sense only for esthetics and marketing purposes.
The metal simply doesn’t work in this application.
I have a friend of mine that had its motorcycle helmet fall from his hand, and it showed a big damage from that mild impact: it used that material on the outside.

The material I had was copper, for heat dissipation study. I can’t imagine how much of a pain cutting titanium prepreg would be!!! As with Roberto said, I can’t see much reasoning for metal threading in carbon fabric, EXCEPT for lightning/EMF protection, which would be copper or nickle anyway. However, it might help for impact, or tension strength. Not good with compression, because the metal is bend at each weave intersection…no way it has strength.

But even in tension the titanium has a modulus of 120GPa and carbon of 230GPa (or even 588GPa for UHMC). Ti density is 4.4 and carbon is 1.9. So it pretty much does nothing but increase the dumbarsewank factor. It is material like this that makes my job harder when I need to explain to some guy that it’s not the best thing since sliced bread.

Indeed quite useless. Could just as well have used a glass thread to keep things together, with all the advantages of glass (price, wettability)

One of my suppliers (Selcom) does make woven glass/copper tapes, but for conductivity (lightning protection) which does make sense. They also introduce optical fibers, to be able to do damage assesment after a composite structure gets hit by something (windmills, bridges, tanks, buildings). Also quite useful.

I have heard that there is some research about smart reinforcements in composite.

Do you know herman is there some nice practical examples of optical fibers in use? Or they are just testing them?

I thought had a structural function, seeing where pagani use this material.

always research in smart composites. Fiber has been tested as an optical data link, along with sensor applications. I think they use fiber in sensor apps currently in the field and production. As for other things, it’s a need by need basis. Hell, everything is possible with composites, but it’s VERY niche!

Last time I had contact with the smart fiber crew, it was still in an experimental state, although working. They could tell exactly where a problem with the optical fiber (and thus the laminate) occured, even multiple places.
The readout unit however was costly. (100-200k euro)

I should ask about whether any commercial projects were executed.

Iit has been used in carbon yacht masts Americas Cup boats and mega yachts like the Maltese Falcon

Just in case you need some carbon titanium or carbon & 18k gold!

http://www.cristex.co.uk/products/woven-fabrics/innovative-tex-weaving-technique-weaving-styles

dah hell would you…need…oh wait, rich people have everything.
speaking of, we just got a loom… :smiley: They shouldn’t have let me take over control of the system…

something like this into the laminate?
http://youtu.be/Yc8Q-CxvDKU

Nice find. No, not exactly like that. The unit senses damage to the optical fiber, and locates the damage. In combination with a drawing youa re able to pinpoint the damage to one spot.

In Italy they have a habit of wrapping old buildings in carbon / aramide with concrete, to protect them from falling apart during an earthquake. With the embedded sensors they can quickly check for damage, and the amount of damage.

ok I understand. I know that carbon is used also in building, but I don’t know the use of optical fibre in it. After earthquakes of L’Aquila (some years ago) and Bologna-Modena this year, the optical fiber technology can help

Sweet man!!

Hey mate, I agree with you point however, wouldn’t aiming to get some degree of ductility be acomplished by using a metal “fiber”, thus leading to an increase in toughness and resilliance of the composite material. the use of titanium as the metal fiber is a logical one because of its density and yield stregth (you wouldn’t go to the trouble of using crfp with mild steel fibers). for the person who said it would be good under compression, this is rubish as the panel will buckle (inducing new forces/moments and thus fail) under a far lower load than in tension (this is because cfrp is anistropic - the fiber is stronger along its longitudinal/main axis as opposed to an axis perpendicular the the panel). hope this helps for those with no technical understanding