Zyvax release system

Hey all,

I am just seeking some more information regarding the Zyvax range of release agents. I am mainly interested in the Flex-Z range, as I currently use Frekote 700NC but have grown tired of pre-release issues when making moulds.

Ive done a fair bit of research, and I believe I’ve read through every existing thread on this forum on the topic, so I understand the theory of the products quite well. What I am after is more of an opinion from people who have used these products. I am somewhat unsure what level of slip I would be after for my application (making moulds). I feel like the Z2 is probably what I should use, but is there a reason I wouldn’t go for the Z1? Is the Z1 difficult to release, or is it still easy?

My current practice with the Frekote is to apply 2-3 coats of TR-108 release wax over the top to help with separation issues when applying the gelcoat, and assist with reducing pre-release. Am I correct in assuming that this is totally unnecessary with the Zyvax?

One concern I have is regarding the product life. The Zyvax data sheet says a shelf-life of 1 year, which is normal. Frekotes official shelf-life is also 1 year, but my current can is from 2009 and still works as good as the day I opened it. But it also states a use-by date of 60 days from the day of opening the container. This seems an extremely short time frame, and I would certainly never get anywhere close to using 500ml within 60 days. Is this correct, or can I feel comfortable using the product well past this point?

Flex z is awesome! Been using it since 2005 with zero issues. I use number exclusively for all molds including tooling with number 6 for the flanges around perimeter and flanges in multi piece molds. There is a sealer Incorporated in the release so a sealer is not needed but I still put a couple coats sealer gp by habit. Like all semi permanent releases they are sensitive to humidity as in high humidity you go manufactures recommended time between coats, low humidity you double wait times between coats, Zyvax told me this not some sales rep…that said zero prerelease is what to expect even on truley smooth and polished molds, not polished scratches like most.

No wax , pva or breaking in mold nessisary. Apply coat after each part because it will actually get slipperyer on next two pulls, max is three pulls per application of release. :slight_smile:

Thanks Brad. You actually answered one of my next questions about using the sealer, so that’s great too. What number would you recommend for making moulds so that pre-release is a non-issue?

I am really just looking for something to use for making moulds, as I’m happy with the Frekote for making final parts. I very rarely wet lay, parts are usually infused or pre-preg for me so the more slip the better.

For this reason I’m actually quite keen to try the Enviroshield as well, any chance to move away from harsh chemicals is a good opportunity.

My only concern about both products is the shelf-life once opened. How long do you normally keep your products Brad?

I was told by someone that uses enviroshield that it is pretty slippery, more than the number 6. I use number 1 when making my molds also ( full sized car bodys ,splitters,doors)so I’m not restricted by size. I use 1 gallon every 4 to 6 months for number 1 and one per year for number 6. I carefully pop out the metal plug,pour into pint(500ml) plastic bottle with plastic cap to dispense .put the metal plug back in gallon can then tighten. I use out of plastic bottle till needed to refill so as not to open can often , should last one year no problem if material is fresh when purchased. The plastic bottle is similar to a kethup or mustard bottle in a restaurant but with a cap. The flex z is not nearly as strong smelling as freecoat or composite sheild :).

Yes in one of the other threads on here, someone made the comparison that in the Flex-Z range of slipperiness the Enviroshield would be a 9. This would suit me quite well for making parts, I always like a good level of slip on infused parts.

So how do you find the Z1, is it still easy to demould or does it take a bit of effort? How would it compare to say just a paste wax on its own? You use a fair bit more than me, I’d say in a year I have only used maybe 250ml, if that. But I guess if I got 500ml then I could have a good go at getting through that and see when it goes off if it does. Have you ever had a bottle go off on you?

I cant say much about this release, but if you’re looking for a good release when using VE/PE gel coats; Axel 818 works very well, was designed for gel coat application. The slip level is low enough to prevent pre-release, but still allows for excellent release of the parts. Though be warned it doesn’t work well with direct epoxy use, such as epoxy infusion or prepreg without gel coat.

wax? haven’t used that for parts since 2001…all parts come out just fine. don’t worry so much over a step that takes a second, prerelease is permanent. i toss out if over year old, its cheaper that sticking a mold.

Thanks Hojo, I had a look for Axel 818 but as with everything composites related, it seems a bit hard to get hold of in Western Australia.

Brad, thanks mate, I appreciate your advice. I bit the bullet today and went and picked up a gallon each of some Z1 and Z2. Doing some tests as we speak, so hopefully this system will fix what ails me. I’m sure it will, it sounds the goods. Sales rep where I got it was a hilarious German man who’s one piece of advice was “it’s the xxxx” :laugh:

Am enjoying the low VOC already. Much nicer to apply than Frekote, that’s for sure.