ZYVAX release system

Hi guys, i have been using frekote as my release system but my supplier will soon stop carrying it and they are replacing it with ZYVAX. Does any one have experience with this product line and how does it fare compared to frekote.

Thanks

It works just as good, you wont notice a difference.

On a side note about Zyvax. I have used their Pregmagic product before. It’s alot easier then taken a spool of prepreg and putting it in a bucket of acetone to make tackifier. :rolleyes:

Marbocoat is another semi perm that’s not mentioned on here and it works just as good as Frekote or Zyvax.

Just for your piece mind test a small piece once you get some.

Zyvax range is extensive and works well. You have a number of choices from water based systems to solvent based systems. Or a combination of both. Meaning you can seal the mould with solvent based sealer (sealer gp) and then finish off with a water based release. Either the Nano release or the Enviroshield, depending on your application. You can also run with their Flex Z range, which is a solvent based range that has six levels of slip resistance. Flex Z1 being the least slippery and obviously the Flex Z6 being the slipperiest. It is a HAPS free system and is a wipe on leave on system. What I like about this system is that you can coat the mould with the middle of the road 3 and then any tight areas of the mould that needs a bit more slip you coat with a higher degree of slip, a 4,5 or 6. Conversely if you have a spot on the mould that is prone to pre-release you go the other way, with say a 1 or 2. Or use the 1-2 were a tape line is required on a mould. As many would agree, if you have one level of slip resistance of your semi-permanent and try to put a tape line down to hold can be very painful. You can also alter the slip resistance of your mould if you are not working in a temp controlled environment. Meaning if the mould is coated with a 3 during summer, you can convert that level of slip resistance, for say winter to a 4 with one application. You can go from one level of slip resistance to another with one application! I have coated parts the size of swimming pool moulds and boat moulds of 50’-60’ to small intricate moulds including Prepreg moulds, it is heat resistant both in the water based range and the Flex Z range.
Hope this helps.

I have carried their range of products in the past, until my boss found out that his mind was not compatible with the mind of the Spanish European hub. (I had no trouble, must have been my boss :))

Their Sealer GP is also top notch.

The water based stuff is great, as you definately want to protect yourself and your workers from fumes.

WOW thanks a lot for the elaborate explanation :slight_smile:

I saw their nano release on their website, seems like a good product.
Does anybody have any experience with it? Can solvent free release agents produce the same results as a solvent based product?

I am hoping to replace frekote 770nc with a solvent free product.

Yes it does work as well as the solvent based systems. The only thing to bear in mind is that you start with water based you stay with water based. You can apply water based over solvent based but not the other way around. Zyvax also have a water based sealer called Sealer SF. This is a bit more difficult to apply than the solvent based sealer. I generally run and recommend the use of a solvent based sealer rather than water based for no other reason than ease of application. In reality the water based system seals better on a tool that requires a better seal. Plugs or moulds that aren’t quite up to par. Also solvent based sealers can be quite harsh on solvent attack with critical plugs, so the water based sealer will be a better option. Just a footnote to this. The Enviroshield release is a great solution for male based moulds were the part you are making shrinks onto the mould. The more slip the better!!! If you did a comparison to their Flex Z range with 6 being the slipperiest then the Enviroshield would be an 8 or 9, really slippery you will struggle to hold a tape line. Also very good for applying to Light RTM B moulds (counter moulds) as long as you are not looking to gelcoat these.

Has anyone had experience using this release molding polyester, vinyl ester, epoxy using composite and/or metal tooling. When applying at ambient temps was there a cure time involved? How many releases, especially versus a solvent semi-permanent that gave a high number of releases? How many coats applied normally? Any transfer issues either on a part or a bladder if infusing?

Solarcomposites I use for frekote products. Check them out. They also have the best pricing on fabric too that I’ve found.

Wait. So frekote products are hazardous?

Definitely!

Arg ok. I thought so but wasn’t sure. I guess I’ll start treating it like polyester resin then.

Are you serious or joking?

My teacher always told me that frekote is one of the worst chemicals we use. Highly toxic. Be sure to use good gloves, thick rubber ones, and latex/nitrile and change them. All gloves have some migration of chemicals so it’s good to switch them if you’re in contact with the chemical for a long time. Also double gloving helps.

Freekote is worst than polyester resin by far… all the solvents make it very volatile. ALways wear a respirator and if you smell any of the freekote then change your cartridges and make sure your mask fits properly.

They also do make some low VOC freekote wipes, which smell a lot less and seem to work as well.

I believe the 770-NC is better than the 700-NC. But yes, super nasty stuff. I’d definitely rather be exposed to polyester resins more often than Frekote!

I’m serious. I’ve been using the stuff religiously thinking it was fine. I was under the impression it was safe. I’ve been wearing a mask recently and gloves but now after roughly 3 years of use I’m worried now.

The products listed on the first page are safe since they are water based?

I guess I never bothered since being around frekote never made me high or light headed. I know dumb…