Who has started their own composites business..?

Hi all,

Just curious how many here have started their own composites business? And what previous experience you had - both with composites and in business?

I’ve been a composites enthusiast for quite a while and had a motorcycle related home project on the go quite a while back, I would have loved to keep doing composites work but I was young and didn’t know a thing about business or how to make money from composites.

Well life happened and I ended up starting an unrelated business and have been riding that rollercoaster for the last 10 years, it’s getting to a point now where I’ve realised that I want to step back from the day to day operations and get involved more with motorbikes and bring some of my composites ideas to reality.

The plan would be to continue my existing business, so there’s income there. With my experience now I know how to cost out an individual product/project and forecast income, handle marketing etc. I feel like I’m solid on the business side of things, but feel like it’s a crazy idea as I don’t really have any good composites experience… I guess there’s really only one way to find out…

Interested in hearing anyones stories, experiences and any warnings of potential pitfalls. If you did start your own composites shop did you start by yourself and was the goal to always work solo? Or have you grown a team and how long did that process take? Do you mostly sell to local customers, or do you have an online presence, ship worldwide etc.?

Cheers