What kind of cars...

Do you like? Since there are a lot of people from all over the world in here(which is great) I’m curious as to what people like. Personally I am a huge Pontiac fan(the old ones, although my daily driver is an 06 Torrent) I also love Muscle Cars and Hot Rods in general, but I do like Porsches a lot, and some other sports cars as well.

Oh boy, this list is long. Fast cars, cool looking cars, unique cars, did I mention fast cars?

Although there are many modern cars I like I wish I could go back 40 years and own a car then. Cars were simple, rules were lax and any teenager could pick up a junker and start working on it. Most importantly gas was dirt cheap.
Another thing is that America was the world leader in car manufacturing. These days if I want to design with the best, I have to learn German, Italian, or Japanese. As cool as foreign cars are I really want to work with/buy something distinctly American.

In a nutshell though my dream car is a 60’s Ford GT40. I like it because it’s American, it’s fast, and it looks sleek. It’s the epitome of everything I value in a car.

Oh dear…

My hobby site is www.bugattibuilder.com (1000 visitors daily…). This probably says enough.

My daily driver is not a Bugatti, regretfully…

import scene for me

Is this because the British automotive industry is non existent now :sad:

I respect any car that is made with good engineering and innovation. Things like low mass and smaller engine giving a better power to weight ratio. It’s easy to make 500hp out of 7.0l V8, do the same with a 3.0l V6 and that’s cool.

And I’m sorry Canyon, the GT40 was designed and made in England. And in the famous 1966 1-2-3 finish 3 drivers were Kiwi’s and 1 was English.
Edit: I just had a chat with Bruce McLaren’s sister and she corrected me that the cars were designed in England but made in the USA.

BMW is my favorite

What?!! You know Bruce Mclaren’s family personally? the Mclaren F1 were one of my favorite cars in my youth, especially since it was the fastest car in Need for Speed which is a great reason to love a car when you’re 5 years old.

My old Formula SAE team works closely with the Mclaren trust here in New Zealand (our car number is 47 in his honour). Last night was the current car launch and Jan Mclaren was there, so we chatted. I wouldn’t say I’d get invited for dinner but if we passed in the street we would stop and talk.

I believe the F1 is still the worlds fastest naturally aspirated car.

True, but 500hp out of a 7.0L isn’t really that much anymore. I know some people on the Pontiac board that are pushing close to 1000 with a 7.4L and up, especially with turbos. Some people over here are putting out 1500-2000hp with some V8’s and turbos too(we actually have a Ford boost engineer on the Pontiac board(he owns a classic GTO) and he usually has some interesting stories. But yes, anything that is well developed with power deserves respect.

In that respect the Group A rallycars were something. The Audis, Lancia (Stratos and 037) and all the rest. I love that era.

my interest is heavily in the import scene as well - JDM Spec, y0. haha =]

i have spent most of my time working with these as well… i have to say im not really a huge fan of super-cars to be honest…
i actually prefer cars pre paint so you can see the work that has gone into them !
euro cars arent too bad, little bit backwards [you go to indicate and the wipers turn on? lol]

If i had the cash and my wife said yes… I’d buy a 2011 Camaro or Vette to build up.

I like Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, american muscle cars 60’s era and the current Big 3 offerings, other supercars, german cars ( although i’m not a fan of volkswagen which is weird because growing up i loved vw’s), Indy is my fav race car, almost as exciting as watching MotoGP.

the japenses scene is pushing 1000 hp out 2ltr engines and 1200 out of 2.6 so a 1000 out of 7.4 is nothing really

The American’s are pushing out over 1000-1200hp from 1L in 1 cylinder. So 1000hp from the Japanese from 4 cylinders and 2L is really nothing. Don’t you guys get Top Fuel drag racing on tv over there? 500ci 8-9,000+ hp. American V8’s make the fastest accelerating vehicle you can drive on earth. Besides strapping yourself to a rocket of corse!

Remember there is no replacement for displacement!

(That’s why those Japanese need forced induction) :tongue:

Show me a top fuel dragster that can last a season with out a rebuild? That point is invalid,because I am talking street legal.

Them engines are on the limit constanly. It really is an invalid point. Talk bout. F1 engines and u may have a point, but then I fail to see a us engine in the worlds elite motorsport

Depend how and what you define as the automotive industry

personally I like the LMP1 CARS my favourite engine for tinkering with comes from the JDM however