Wanted: Polyester Infusion Resin

Where’s a good source for polyester infusion resin in the Florida area or online.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I847 using Tapatalk 2

not much luck with this post. :frowning:

Some days are like that, LOL.

I’m hoping for results on this post. All my molds are poly tooling resin and I’ve been warned from using epoxy in them. I’d like to start infusion for the hoods I make.

That shouldn’t be any problem. I and a lot of other people use poly molds and infuse epoxy parts in it.

Have you considered a freestanding post cure for your hoods, perhaps someone with more knowledge would step in here, I believe a slow rampup in the temperature is the key to saving surface quality but post finishing may still be necessary.

As for my search I’m considering Resin Research Inc Composite Pro epoxy but I’m very nervous about this epoxy’s Tg. I also have easy access to Proset 125 not exactly inexpensive (u get what u pay for don’t you) but I don’t like the idea of my first major infusion using a resin with a viscocity less than 250.

I’m really trying to avoid the shipping charges that tends to double the final cost of any resin.

I could be wrong but with a decent sealer/release coat it should not matter that your molds are polyester but whatever resin you choose needs to be processed in such a way that your molds are never exposed to high temperatures.
Krayden Inc in Melbourne carries huntsman 8601/8602, cures and room temperature hence it can be demolded and postcured. The real question for you is how hot will those hoods get as they carry higher temperature epoxies that meed a lot of heat in the mold and probably won’t work for you.
Merritt Supply has Pro-set 125 which works for small parts like hoods.

As for me I am still checking around (one off my suppliers looking into vinylester by the pail.

Best to buy liquid products from domestic suppliers. International courier costs too high for liquids materials.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While not as high as international even domestic shipping gets expensive when you cross a state or two, that’s why I’m limiting my search to Florida its closest for me.

I see. What advantage does polyester resins have over epoxy resin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polyester is much cheaper :D:D

Keep in mind that low viscosity epoxy resins for infusion is a special order at most local outlets.

I personally have a great deal of respect (and envy) for anyone who can afford and justify a drum or two of top shelf infusion epoxy but I’m not there “yet”.

It much cheaper :D:D
I have a lot of respect for vinylester and epoxy resins depending on your application they “can” produce a part ill which is more expensive but also:
(A) lighter but just as strong
(B) stronger for same wieght
© lighter and stonger

While all of that is great how much more is my customer willing to pay for those advantages is the real issue. The desire to switch to infusion for me is rooted in health concerns but at the end of the day whoever buys a part is going to foot the bill.

Have you searched for vinylester infusion resins. I know those exist, not sure about polyesters though.

Vinyl ester is what my supplier is checking on for me right now, polyesters do exist so far all of the ones I have come across say ‘non structural’. I mentioned those epoxies for mg4tim as they may be useful for his hoods. A decent infusion grade vinyl estser will satisfy me just fine, simply want it locally.