Vacuum Table ideas

Currently I use West Systems 105/205 and will also be using 207. I am looking at building my own work table/bench. I plan on using it also to cut my fabric and store rolls of fabric under neath the table. I can build the basic table just trying to figure out what to use for the table top. This table top will be a combination of cutting surface, but for the smaller projects, I plan on setting the vacuum bag right on the table (using the table as the backside of the bag), the only issue I have is what to use as a top?

Options I have come up with are:

Formica-laminate: Cheap and easy to install/replace as needed but dont know how well it will hold up or if it would need any extra sealing?

Solid Surface (Corian, etc): pricey, but should hold up to the cutting and the bagging process as it is non porous, thinking I should just need to wax the area for a release.

Butcher Block: can be pricey, according to West System help, I should be able to put 3-4 coats of epoxy on the block, then a couple coats of laquer and be fine, the epoxy I think would add a lot to the cost, but could easily be smoothed out/re-applied as needed.

Stainless Steel: not for sure on the price since Im not sure what gauge I should get, but with a wax placed on it for a mold release, I think it would hold well for cutting and the vacuum process.

Does anyone have thoughts on this? I am just getting started so dont want to have too much money into this table (but could upgrade the top down the line as needed), but I also want a top that should hold up for awhile well (unsure of how well formica laminate will hold up over time)

Thank you in advance for any help.

I use a glass table and just put a cutting matt down when I’m using it as a work bench.

I second the glass table. That’s also what I have on my work bench. Just got the obligatory cutting mat as well!

When i do infusions on the glass, i just use paste wax as release. I also cut my material on it, glass is great for this. Also great for when I cut rip stop nylon with a soldering iron for my kites. :wink:

So, what size glass tables are you using? How thick of a table? Is it one pane of glass of multiple?( If multiple how did you seal them?). And last, what type of glass is it?

mine is like 5ft by 3ft or so… It was a table top for a dinner table I think… a friend of mine got it from a good will store for nothing and gave it to me. I think it’s tempered but honestly not sure… Seal it? I just bag directly on the glass when I do infusions or bag parts on it. It’s really nothing special.

I picked up a dining table from someone on “offerup”. Paid $30 for it, the glass is rounded on the corners, 3/8 thick and just under 63"x35".

The table came with for decent steel chairs that we will use for game nights, and adjustable legs/supports that I will you to make a wood working bench. Meanshile, I am thinking of making my own bench for the glass top, planning on having wood hang over the top about 1/4" all the way around, build a fabric storage on the bottom with shelves on the leftover space (might build it to house pump/pan) and a few cross supports for the glass. I will also put shelves above for resin, mixing pots, brushes, etc.

I use a 1/4" aluminum plate to do my composites work. I always have it covered in mold release so nothing really gets stuck to it and, if it did, I can just use my sander to remove it.

I recently made a custom table frame using aluminum t-slot extrusions. Aside from making the build very quick, it makes it super easy to customize with shelves, storage, height adjustments and future size expansion. They are also cheap, I am using them for my new curing oven too.

Glass is not ideal for me because I use a lot of silicone and glass is the only thing it sticks to. If I didn’t, it would be ideal because it’s a strong, smooth, hard, super flat surface. It’s exactly what is need, espiecally if you make your own prepreg. The only thing that might be better is a granite surface plate if the budget is available.

Just wondering on thoughts. I will be building a workbench and using a glass panel for the top of that bench. Now, I will be building a wood surround on the bottom and setting the glass on top, and then building a surround to go on top of the glass, so it will be sandwiched between 2 pieces of wood with legs on each corner and a bottom shelf to help stabilize everything. My question is, would I need to put supports across the middle of the glass to help, or would the support on the outside edges be enough?

The glass panel is 36"x63" and 3/8" thick.