Vacuum pump set up for overlays

Hi all,

I would like some advice on vacuum pumps.
I am doing some overlays on couple of car parts but I need a vacuum set up to get the CF get in the tricky section of the part. What is the best way to do it?
I was thinking foam building around the part and then run the pump to push the cf onto the whole part.
I will need a simple, not very expensive set up to be able to do this, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

When I do overlays, I usually spray tack the material to the part first, then wet the carbon out with a brush. I’ll then do an envelope bag for the parts, unless they’re too big i guess. If you’re doing a part on a table, then you will need to support it some what in order to avoid breaking/distorting anything.

Foam may work, but it will definitely crush under any decent amount of vacuum. Unless you use something like that spray foam or any other two part urethane rigid foam.

What do the parts look like?

It’s actually a common misconception that a vacuum pump forces materials into a void . If the bagging film does not have enough slack to sufficiently follow the contours of your part , extra materials are needed to allow for proper compaction . The cheapest way that I would suggest is to place a perforated release film over the part’s suspect areas with fleece or a polyester batting type of material placed over top .
Something that can pull apart by hand easily will work , and can be sourced for cheap . Hope that helps .