Vacuum pump questions

I am considering buying a new vacuum pump…and i dont know something.
How much important is the ultimate pressure of a vacuum pump to the laminate quality ? I mean that now i have a chinese vacuum pump that i bought for 150 euro…and the manometer says -1 bar when i apply vacuum…or -0.9 depends on the mood … : ) If i buy a expensive 2000 euro vacuum pump will i see any difference in the quality of my parts?
I red some specs of a lab vacuum pump and it had ultimate vacuum -1.1 bar
Is this possible???

It depends on the proces u use, but with infusion it’s very important to have a vacuum below 10 mbar (less is better). The laminate quility is better because, better laminate compression, better VF, less air, less moisture and the carbon fabric looks better when it’s made with a deep vacuum.

Buying a good vacuumpump is a good investment and a good quility pump will last a lifetime. Don’t buy a new one but buy a good second hand Edwards, Alcatel, Pfeiffer, Busch, Leybold or Rietschle. There is no pump in the world that will pump 1.1 bar vacuum even 1 bar is impossible.

If you want a good pump for little money you can contact me as you did before.

Hi
Would this Edwards rotary vane vacuum pump be ok for bagging and infusion ?
its used and selling for $500

That is not an Edwards pump.

Yes you are right ,its advertised as a Edwards pump ,I am going to try to get the price down if or when I go to have a look pointing out its not an Edwards pump. Would this Korean pump do the job ?

Could someone help to choose Edwards, Leybold, Pfeiffer pumps correct models for car panels(inc. doors or bonnet) infusion ? Is it a good choice :
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PFEIFFER-DUO-10-M-PK-D62-712-D-12-M-H-55KW-3-4HP-240V-3PH-VACUUM-PUMP-/231650096389?hash=item35ef6bf505:g:fRcAAOSwLVZVygqe

Hi,i have a good offer to buy edwards edm6 pump. Im not sure about its cfm properties ,found that it makes about 3.5cfm.Is it enough for car parts infusion as bonnet or door?

why not a ECVP425 from easycomposites? the technical data sheets says 99.995% vacuum, is that true? does it means 0.00005 bar? it’s a 45l/min pump for 169£

Because you can buy the same pump for 69€ on ebay!
ebay pump

Because im from Russia and it is difficult to ship it even from Ebay when you have an offer with 100 dollars price here in Russia.
So maybe could anyone give real advise : is it enough or not ?

3,5 cfm is not much and a edwards edm6 is a very very old pump. It can be done with 3,5 cfm, but better spend some more money for a bigger pump and newer pump. If you want a Edwards, Alcatel, Busch, Varian or Leybold pump just send me a pm.

The amount of air per hour is not that important. That means it just takes more time to evacuate. The only important thing is end vacuum

Really thank you DDC :).
But… what is the real finale vacuum of this pump? Same as easycomposites’ one?

www.giyf.com
:wink:

yes google is one of my best friends, but I can’t find any information about that pump

The pump is 50 years old or something, it’s not crazy you can’t find anything about it.

Ok,thank you for advise.
Maybe any actual model of that brand? Just to choose something in Ebay ?

http://www.compositescentral.com/forumdisplay.php?f=14

Hello, noob question. Tried searching here and on google but to no avail…I have basic knowledge and equipment as I am just getting starting in making CF parts via vacuum forming.

I have a robinair 2 stage vac pump, 5cfm I believe… Is it common practice to let the pump run for the 6-7hr semi cure time, or do you just pull it to vacuum and let it sit (provided there is no leaks)?

Thanks

Sort of depends. A completely leak free bag is always ideal, and if you manage it then there is no need to keep the pump running. If you are wet-lay vacuum bagging then you can get away with a leak and just keep the pump running. If you are infusing then you absolutely must have a 100% leak free bag, critically. And in this case, there is no need to keep the pump running.