Userbase Cleaning

The database is currently being scrubbed of inactive/spammer accounts. This is because extra users are wasting database space and are an avenue for spam. The criterion for deletion are as follows.

1. No activity in the past 30 days and zero posts
  2. Emails from known spamming domains. @pinkinbox.org @orangeinbox.org etc etc
  3. Fake Email addresses

If for some reason you’re one of these users send me a message and I will restore your account.

===Edit===
This is ONLY for known spamming addresses and emails from spam domains. Legitimate users, even ones with 2 years inactivity will be untouched. The point of this thread though is to make users aware incase I accidentally delete their account they’ll know what happened. In that case I’d just restore them from a backup.

Just an opinion canyon. Do you think that 30 days of inactivity is long enough? I can think of several good valid users that havnt posted in the last 30 days that cant look or visit due to workload or whatever. If they dont log on to view this there account would be deleted wouldnt it?

On my forum we have a 3 part system, 21 days first email, another 21 days second email, 21 days after that there deleted

They have to meet requirement 1 and either 2 or 3.

If xyz@legitimateemail.com doeesn’t log in for a year they’re fine. What I’m doing is deleting known spamming address’s and just to be twice sure one’s that have had no logins in the last 30 days which ended up being 832 out of 834.

My apologies for the misunderstanding!

Another admin suggested this method as well but I decided not to actively delete real users for two reasons.
One is what Matvd said, the people here are busy. Composites is either their primary business or their hobby in addition to their side business. Either way one bad stroke of luck, a paycheck that falls through, a mold breaking, etc. etc. will throw any composites job to the back burner. For some it could be over a year before they’re able to continue working so it would be harsh to delete their account in the meanwhile.

Secondly this is a small community and I’m having little issues with the current database size. That being said though useless spammer accounts created by bots are a complete and utter waste of space and I want to optimize and clean up the forums.

Thank you for the tip though! When I first heard it it made me think for a while but I ended up taking the safer approach. Out of curiosity Imation what forum do your run? If you don’t mind I’d like to check it out.

Lastly I once again I apologize for the misunderstanding. I hope my motives are a little more clear!

WWW.OEmodified.com, its a UK based car enthusiast forum.

Stu