To Quit or Not To Quit

Currently i’m working a day shift at a machine shop. I’ve been there 4 years and have been doing composite work on the side for about 8 months. I have many orders I need to get done but my day job doesn’t allow me enough time.

I’m really considering giving notice to leave that job, maybe as early as tomorrow ( giving notice that is ).

I have orders stacking up and people waiting for their parts…it’s crazy around here:eek:

I’m also about ready to move into a house at the end of August. I like the day job because the pay is good. I take home around $1,600 a month. I’m pretty sure i can take home the same or more pay doing just composites. I sell about $150 a day in part/s. This is gross not net. But I seriously think if I had more time to commit to composites I could sell $300 a day and have enough time to make those parts each day.

I’m not trying to boast by any means. I’m just looking for insight into what others think I should do.

All I have to clear in take home pay is $80 a day.

With this bad economy, I’d keep the paying job and cut back on the orders by maybe increasing the selling prices…but don’t tell buyers you can do something and you are too back logged.

Fastrr I know how you feel ,im in actually the very same situation.Have a lot of parts to do but cant find enough time to do them .Have a good full time job but have just rented a unit to do my composite work in aswell.Its a scary thought giving up your day job to take a chance with carbon stuff though I prefer the composites to my day job.It would give so much job satisfaction to see my parts on road and race cars.Guess its just havin the balls to make a go at it.Best of luck whatever you decide.

this may be a stupid question, but having composites as a full time job , wouldnt have to pass emissions for these chemicals , and other iso stuff, which would mean investing in air filtering equipment ,moving outside town limits etc? here shops that do this kinda work are outside the city.

Good point AGA.Thats why I had to stop working from home as the neighbours did not like the smell.My new unit is out in the country away from everybody so no problems there.

I have thought about this for a few months. I have no other way to say it accept that I have a peace about quitting the day job to do composites full time. Today I put in my two week notice at the machine shop.

Once I get established I probably will raise my prices by 5%. For now the extra work will be nice to bring in steady income and get my products and name out there.

I’ll probably start doing some fiberglass parts too. This will be good to test my molds and technique with before doing the carbon fiber part.

As for smell from chemicals there isn’t too much smell. RenInfusion is about the stinkiest chemical i use and after 15 minutes it has given off most of it’s gases from exotherm. I won’t use polyester or vinylester resin until i get a comercial shop. As for the glass I just vacuum it up. I also plan on building that cutting cabinet i mentioned a few months back. That will trap at least 85% of the cutting dust.

There are a few things I still want/need like a big bench for cutting cloth, a fabric roll rack.

to my knowledge my city has no regulations on small composites shops or epa requirements…besides no dumping of course. If I was making full car bodies or boats I’m sure I would have to relocate to an all industrial area of town. I know my mold making epoxy is no VOC’s. not sure about the RenInfusion epoxy. I just wear a respirator when working with it all.

Wooo hooo!! I’m a full time composites guy one week from Monday.:slight_smile:

If anyone needs motorcycle parts for late model sport bikes hit me up.:cool: or if anyone needs racing composites for their race car or high end street car.

I wish you the best of luck. :slight_smile:

Thank you Evo :slight_smile:

Also good luck but don’t burn your bridges as when things gets slow, maybe they will give you part time work?

Very true, always be good to people on your way up, as you may need them on your way down…

Yep, i’m staying on good terms with my boss.

good deal man. only the best of luck to ya!! :smiley: your work is incredible, i dont think youll have any issues.

My work is in the ok category I think. It will get better with more practice I hope.

I may have picked up a new client, another c/f composites company that is in over their head. I won’t overload myself though, if I can’t do the work in a reasonable amount of time I’ll just tell them.

Hello FastRR,

I know this is a few years back now but I take my hat off to you for making this gamble… and by the sounds of it- its paid off!

So how are things now? Please update us!

Congratulations, I am planning to start my own shop as well. Good luck to you. Where are you located?

OOPS, I did not look at the dates.:o

no big deal, i’ve done that.

My business folded for a few reasons. Not enough starting capital; a bad business relationship; and a bad economy. In hindsight I have learned much and know what mistakes to avoid in the future.

I may be returning to composites manufacturing in the near future.

THAT is the right attitude, you didn’t fail…you learned from your experience and will try not to repeat the same mistakes next time!