System West 105 Epoxy resin review

I ran out of resin and my supplier couldn’t deliver until next week so I decided to run down to West Marine and get a gallon of System West epoxy resin.

I used the 105 resin with the 205 fast hardener (5 to 1 mixing ratio by volume). I highly recommend getting the ratio pump by System West also. The resin wets out very good and the fabric stayed down much better than most other resins that I have tried. This resin cured to a very clear finish. Over all I like this resin better than the one from US Composites. However, it also costs alot more so you’ll have to decide for yourself if it’s worth the money.

If you’re working on small projects like interior pieces, this is a good resin to work with. It will cure at room temperature and does not require post cure. If you need something that can withstand high heat and/or take a lot of sun light, this resin is not for you.

I would agree with Evan on this epoxy. I have been using it a lot lately. Very the not taking heat very well, (remebers bad experience) :slight_smile:

It is more exspensive then other epoxies but I like it and use it almost on a daily basis

how high of heat are we talking, 150deg or less is ok? I need a faster and cheaper laminating solution for making my molds. i’m using der324 and a velocity air hardener that takes overnight to dry on cooler days. I need something that has a good 45 min pot life and a dry time of 3-4 hours. any suggestions?

Sounds like you need to buy or make an oven to speed up your cures.

“velocity”, meaning it is that epoxy systems fast hardener?

What is the temperature ( indoors or outdoors - whatever pertains)where you are working with the epoxy?

i use the 105 and special hardener for the “gelcoat” and then fast hardener for the other layers…i love west systems…i also have a wholesale account with a local west systems dealer…i get 1 gallon for about $58 and the special hardener is $36 while the fast hardener is $28 or so…not bad in my book :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: i love it