Suggestions for mold making products

I posted a thread asking for state-side alternatives to Easy Composites’ Uni Mould system, but didn’t get any responses so I’ll rephrase the question:

I want to make a mold using Brushable VE gelcoat, PE laminating resin + CSM. (to produce CF part)

I’m looking for some recommendations or alternatives. I’d even be interested to hear what everyone’s favorite recipe is for small molds that will be used to produce CF parts with a clear finish.

Why are you using VE gel coat? PE gel coat would be okay with the PE laminating resin.

He is likely wanting to make epoxy carbon fibre parts out of the moulds, so vinyl is the go if that’s the case.

Idk, I use the Reichold tooling system myself. Virtually exactly the same as Unimould, but slightly better temperature properties. Not sure if you can get it where you are, but I thought I’d throw you the name.

I regularly use polyester gel coated molds to make epoxy carbon parts, he’s obviously not using elevated temperatures as he plans on using polyester resin.

I guess the VE is supposed to have less shrinkage.

I think you need to buy products and test things out. It seems that you have no used vinyl Ester nor poly. You should try both of you are curious.

I’m using polyester gel coat and I see the gel coat pulls apart during curing and leaves gaps that need to be filled with additional coats. Again, I would just like to hear what works for people who have the most experience with making CF parts by way of infusion. Too many products and techniques.

Yep, so have I, but it’s not something I would recommend to people. Not every type of polyester gelcoat will work, some types will stick every time no matter what release agent you use (except PVA obviously).

Also, polyester tooling resins are quite capable of handling elevated temperatures, the Reichold system I use does 100C pre-preg cycles day in day out.

So it sounds like I should try a VE gel coat. Can someone recommend a brushable VE gel coat?

Hanaldo, Are you getting your supply in Oz?

Yeh mate, I import a lot of stuff but all my resins are sourced in Oz.

In fact most of it comes from the one place, CG Composites in Queensland. They supply all my tooling gelcoat and tooling resins, as well as my Gurit infusion epoxy.

Just checked out their website. Thanks. I’m in Brisbane in a couple of weeks so will call in.