Soft wax

I’ve been in composites for 22 years and have, many times, needed to create a temporary radius during prototyping or indeed when producing tooling and parts. Generally we’d use wax fillets where on an early, cold winters morning it can be a pain to apply even when the shop reaches temperature. Another pain staking effort in the use of plasticine/clay has also been applied, but using this material it’s evident that more time is spent creating good blends to the parent surface.

I’ve recently come across, to me, a new product. A bar of soft wax!

http://www.easycomposites.co.uk/#!/patterns-moulds-and-tooling/Mould-Making-Materials/soft-yellow-filleting-and-filling-wax.html

Now using this stuff the edges of the fillet are smooth unlike that of clay or plasticine and the rads are smooth. It can easily be applied in the coldest of temperature just by warming it up in your hands. I just can’t believe I’ve never come across such a product before. I’m sure many of you have used something similar before though.

Yeh been using it for a few years now, it’s a godsend! Couldn’t get by without it anymore.

Haven’t tried this stuff yet. I’ve been kind of waiting for it to be imported into the us and sold at bulk since to replace this stuff with all my clay would be quite expensive

I think you will find it isn’t. Clay can only be used once, this wax can be used again and again and again. It lasts for ages, I bought three 600g blocks two years ago and two of them are still unopened.

And just to clarify, I make moulds damn near every week. I use it ALOT!

Clay can only be used once? I’ve been using the same clay for years haha. I need to try this wax though.

Ok, well the clay I’ve used always went hard and just chipped away after making the mould.

Ah yeah I got some clay that stays soft. It’s ok. I’m going to order some of this wax when I make a new mold.