Smooth on rubber silicone bags

I’m looking into making some rubber silicone bags for resin infusion.Ive done some reading on here and came across some threads for 2010 that dome were not impressed with the product but didn’t give any detail. Does anyone have any experience with this product
Thankyou

the 2 part silicone brush on stuff? I’ve used it, it works fine but if you ever tear it or poke a hole in it, it’s done, there’s no rebonding to it. it also tends to get a little crispy if you’re using polyester resins

Interesting! I am new to this and am starting off with a basic bagging setup. I saw some videos on Smooth-on (I am familiar with their silicone mold making material as I have been casting some parts that way for a few years) and was intrigued by the spray on approach and was wondering if a smooth-on, brush on approach to making the silicone bag would be adequate? (not sure why it wouldn’t) I will likely do trials and get my initial experience on with traditional plastic bagging initially but like the reusable shorter set-up. Thoughts?

Smooth-On offers a “brushable” silicone bagging material specifically for the purpose of making silicone vac bags by way of a brush. I actually have two of the trial units now, that I will be using later this week for a new mould I created. Assuming it goes well, I’ll be utilizing this method for all of my moulds going forward.

Side note, that “sprayable” sysytem they offer is prohibitively expensive unless you are a full scale composite shop. The machine alone runs about $10k

Are you building the bag the way they shoe in the video with a vacuum channel all the way around the permiter?

Yes I am. However I am building my molds with the “channel” pre-made into the flange. basically a channel is around the entire circumference of the part. The whole reason I’m investing the time/money into this is so that I can quickly get a perfect vacuum on all of the parts without having to mess around with bagging film and gum tape. Both of which I spend waaaay too much time messing around with right now.

Are you doing infusion or just vacuum bagging. From tge info in the videos the “channel” in the flange is for vacuum sealing. On the infusion it seems as you use the rubber molding around the flange to build the bag over and add “flow channels” into that to pull resin thru.

CVision - do let us know how it goes with the Smooth-on brush on bagging! (I have had great experience with their other products) PS, what infusion resin are you using?

I’m usinginfusion, and I saw the video you’re talking about where they used a “channel” in the mould for the purpose of vacuum bagging. In reality though, vacuum is vacuum; doesn’t matter if it’s infusion or not. My concern is just being able to quickly and reliably pull -30"mmhg without searching for leaks in the bag.

They make a ton of little “accessories” to make the bag setup cleaner (resin runners, infusion funnels, etc.). They aren’t cheap though…the “seal profile” alone is over $20/yd.

If I remember I’ll post some pics and make a new thread about the bag I make.

Smooth-On is the USA distributer for Alan Harper Composites.

http://www.alanharpercomposites.com/

Alan is a great guy!