SMC, Hexmc

Anyone know where to find some carbon SMC/Hexmc in smaller quantities than a roll? I’d like to do some tests/prototypes before I buy a full roll. 1-2 kg would be great.

Without knowing anything about your project it is difficult to provide meaningful info but here are a few thoughts:

HexMC is difficult to get - you might be better off looking for a uni-carbon prepreg and cutting it into squares… not fun but might get you there quicker/cheaper than the true material.

Quantum Composites - Located in Bay City, MI USA - offer a great carbon SMC solution. Depending on your situation (identifiable business vs. 1 person with a hobby) they may be able to send you a sample of their material. If the future potential business justifies it, you may just pay shipping.

Both products really should be compression molded - Autoclave at absolute minimum. If you’re doing hand layup or vacuum bagging I would not expect a good result.

Good luck in your search!

Hexmc isn’t a real problem, supplier in Belgium with a warehouse in Germany. But a roll goes for 2500 euro ex taxes and shipping. I’m doing a project where I want to replace some aluminium by carbon for sports equipment. Buying a full roll is an option, but if the project doesn’t take off I’m stuck with an expensive roll of material I won’t use in other projects. This will be the first product I will produce and sell myself, coming from freelancing and producing for others.
I’m pressing in heated aluminium moulds for the first batch. Design nearly ready, trying to mill them in the coming month.

Thanks for the reply

Susho, send me a PM, I could help, may be.