Simple design software!!

Hi there, I’m trying to design a motorhome that I will be making out of composite materials… However, I need help, I dont know what software (freeware preferably) to use, Ive been trying google sketchup just to try and generate a 3d image, but i have been finding it extremely difficult… can anybody help please?

Sketchup is relatively simple to use. Other software like Solidworks will only be more complicated than Sketchup. Have you seen the tutorials on SU? They are quite involved.

I mostly use a package called PAP. Dirt cheap, and very flexible. Will look it up later.

Knowing you a bit Herman, with your CAD systems, I would say Pen And Paper?

Damn you…

Solidworks is the one to use but it is hard to justify unless you are using it on a regular basis, have a look at http://www.freecadweb.org/ it may do what you need.
Chris
Carbonfibreworks.co.uk

I still feel that many times a piece of paper, a pencil and a ruler can do the trick in a matter of minutes more than hours. A good general view, and details added, can do the trick more than sufficiently for a simple part.

Of course paper pencil and ruler have their place as do CAD,however rapid prototyping/3D printing is no longer the reserve of high end business and is this is just one of the advantages of CAD. All the Cad packages available take varying amount of technical ability and for diy/home use you could pick up the basics by downloading one of the free versions,if you spend one or two hours each evening in a short space of time you will soon be able to produce workable files.
Chris
Carbonfibreworks.co.uk

I worked in a boatyard at the end of 2012. All there was to build up the interior and deckhouse was a couple of sketches. All was measured in on the spot with the hull as reference. Worked perfectly, but I’d rather be building from drawings.
Sketchup is as simple as it gets digitally probably. I like using Rhino.

It not only rapid prototyping and 3d printing though, I get lots of plans from customers digitally. To make offers, discuss the design, plan moulds, etc. Works great. Most of my plugs come from the CNC machine now as well. I can make most of them myself, but it’s faster and cheaper with a CNC machine :slight_smile:

Oh yes, but for a one-off camper, it might be overkill…

I seem to do lots of overkill :slight_smile:

CAD is useful if you need to provide legitimate documentation to your customer or auditor. Pencil (with good eraser) and Paper is good for personal projects in your backyard.

Look up “Blender”. Its freeware that if you didnt know any better youd swear it was a $10K program.

Not a lot of literature on it, but youtube has some Blender gurus with any type of tutorial youll need. From making cars, to rendering cities, or simple brackets.

It can also be used with 3D printers (if thats in your future).