Searching: CNC machinist

I have a 3D model of a part that I would really like to have a CNC’d mold for it. Are there any recommendations for USA based machine shops?

I would want the mold made out of either stainless steel or aluminum.

If you are in a decently large town, there should be at least a few local machining shops around that you could call. Any decently equipped shop should be able to cut an Al cavity mold, and if the part isn’t too complicated they might be able to mill it by hand.

First I would make the 3D model of the mold to get a feel for internal radii and plunge depths and overall mold dimensions with flanges. Then just call around and ask if they’d be open to milling a one-off mold with X dimensions, radii etc.

If your part is for a cool application or uses “exotic” materials it never hurts to mention that when you are talking to the shops, if they are on the fence a particularly unique or interesting project could sway them.

Good luck with the search!

Have a look at Protolobs …you could even use the instant quotation service to understand what features cost the money to help make the tool more economical before you commit. It’s a genius service; just look at the example quotation… Most companies won’t even get the billet mounted to the CNC machine for that cost!