Porsche Boxster

What’s your thoughts… besides it being the bottom of the line Porsche?

Anyone rode in, or driven one? Think a tall person could fit comfortably in the car without looking like a giant monkey? lol

I’d like to own this, but then i’m sure it’s not queit as reliable as the Boxster either. Still a sweet car, i love the body lines.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=250413061&dealer_id=53500992&car_year=2000&num_records=25&model=&systime=&make2=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1999&engine=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&certified=&fuel=&body_code=0&awsp=false&search_type=used&distance=200&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&showZipError=n&first_record=26&make=FER&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=2000&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=1&sort_type=priceDESC&address=85202&advanced=&end_year=2009&pager.offset=25&transmission=&doors=&max_price=1000000&cardist=7

theres a yellow one for sale across the street from my school…:smiley:

Lots of them were made over the years. I can get a '99 Boxster for around $14K here in Arizona. :slight_smile: Now I just need the money LOL.

The common saying is " The only reason to get a Boxster is because you can’t afford a 911." Or if you’re a cute girl.
Have you even driven one? They suck. The only one to get would be a S model. That one actually has decent power, and the handling is great. As always, get the newest one possible. And put a permanent hard top on it. Caymans drive very nice, but weird styling and too new to find good used values.
Better yet, just get a proper 911 since the older ones (around '99 to '02) are now in the low 30’s. I’m looking for a 996 GT3, but super hard to find someone willing to part with a good color combo.

As for 360’s not being reliable, that’s nonsense. I know several people that drive them almost daily with no problems. I use my 355, which is known as being more temperamental, a couple times a week. Worse thing that ever happened was replacing an o2 sensor. The problems generally come from lack of maintenance, which a lot of people delay when they find out how much it costs. With one of my maintenance bills I could buy a new Camry, but it’s still cheaper than broken parts!
A group of us goes out for drives, and we push the cars HARD. Never any problems, while garage queens go straight to the shop.

If you are serious I can scan and post a buyers guide.

The main problems with the Boxter seem to point at it’s engine weaknesses, being mostly hidden they are a nightmare to work on, fragile and the cranks main bearings aren’t even available anymore.

Seems to be another car built for the modern use it, throw it away society.

That’s sucky news about the Boxster. I never really pictured it being a girl car… why’d you go and ruin my fun LOL.

I thought all Boxsters were convertibles?

About the engine lacking power… how about a 10-15 psi of turbo boost? Would that get it up and running quick? I’m guessing the “S” model is boosted?

30 grand is a ton of money for me currently. Maybe I’ll look for another type of car if the Boxster is a pile. I do like 911’s and Carreras, just a lot of $.

A 360 Mondeo would be HOT… in black or silver; red is too much attention getting and I’m not a huge red fan.

TET do Mondeo owners add bits to those cars like aero packages, spoilers, or etc? I could then justify spending that much if the car makes me money back.

I driven the top of the line boxter-s with all the bells and doo dads. Didn’t impress me. Bottom line is that this car is under powered and over priced. It sticks the corners well but so do most small convertibles. I say the best bang for your buck would be a Honda S2000. Power all the way to 9k rpm in the older models and 8k in the newer models(10 more bhp too). This car handles acts and sounds like a mini race car.

Incorrect. It only makes power from 6 to 9k rpm. Not all the way up to 9k. The interior styling and space is nothing special either. Only decent version is the CR, with a solid roof. Fun little car, but nothing close to a “mini race car.”
My V8 revs to 8,500 and makes power from 2k up, all while sounding like an F1 car on the street!

Back on topic, the Boxster just doesn’t give much a the Porsche experience. The S model is big improvement, but they still had to hold back a lot to price it where it is.