Newbe In California

Hello out there…

I build and race RC sailboats in Sacramento, California. I am retired so have had the last several years to try out different techniques and hull designs.

First was an all balsa planked hull over formers that was covered with light fiberglass inside and out. Then I made a hard balsa planked plug and did a wet layup over that. Next I used the plug to make a tooling gelcoat surfaced female mold over a hard balsa plug. From that I have done wet hand layups and a couple of hulls vacuumed bagged in that female mold.

Most recently I made a plug from DuPont BluCor insulation foam, covered it with light glass and did a hand wet layup from that. I really like that hull and now am constructing a new plug with a better surface and will make a female glass mold, from which I want to try infusing a carbon hull.

These have been from polyester, vinyl ester and epoxy.

I just discovered this site and look forward to profiting from the broad base of knowledgeable people here.

Steve - AKA SpockSail

Steve, welcome! Your projects sound interesting. Maybe you can post some pictures in the showcase section and show us your final product and a few in progress shots.

I’m into making some quad copters myself, and just got a 3d printer to experiment with. All this new technology is great.

Glad to have you aboard!

Nie, I started witch RC sailboats :slight_smile:

hey steve, im new to composites myself. Im looking to network other local composite guys, hit me up 9162012818 when you get a chance.