Need help making mold. Ideas?

I am attempting to make a mold using epoxy resin. The parts I’ll be made from carbon/vacuum infusion. Usually when I’m making a mold I paint the part with cleat and buff. I use Freekote 770- NC and this seems to work fairly well. The problem is the painting is time consuming. Should I just use PVA? Or can I maybe just apply 770-NC directly to the parts since it’s plastic? Looking for a faster way to build my molds. I’m worried that I won’t get the “perfect part” that I’m used to if I use pva. I’ve attacjed photos of the 2 parts I am attempting to make.

I would use PVA. The original parts look like they’re textured so PVA won’t have much effect on the finish anyway. PVA is perfect for this application. It will form a chemical barrier to prevent the resin from reacting with the plastic. It will guarantee a safe release and the original part will still be in perfect condition. If you haven’t used PVA or have had trouble spraying PVA, see a post I made regarding that in Tricks of the Trade, page 4. I recently made molds of parts similar to yours and if I knew then what I know now, I would have used PVA and they would have turned out better and the original parts would still look like new.

Thanks I will try this. Can I use a brush to apply?

You can, but it is far better to spray. I’d suggest looking for a Preval sprayer if you don’t have spray equipment.

Ok going to try and order one. There’s probably a thread somewhere here that explains how to mix it?

No need to mix, can spray it as it is straight out of the bottle.

So don’t thin the pva at all?

No, there’s no need.

If the ambient temperature is very hot, you may find the PVA dries in the air and lands on your part as lumps rather than a film. If that happens then you can add 5% water to the PVA. But otherwise, spray it as is.

If, on the other hand the ambient temperature is cool, or the humidity is high, and the PVA still needs thinning, you can add up to 25% Methylated Spirits.

Methylated spirit goes under the name of de-natured alcohol in USA. Isopropyl alcohol can also be used to thin the pva.