Nanofibre reinforcement

After 7 years designing and making composite products I moved on late last year. I’m now at a company that is producing nanofibre composite reinforcement material. After reading about nanofibre and the effect it has on composites for years and then not finding commercially available supplies. I’m happy to say we have cracked it and can produce in large quantities, at a ever decreasing price.

The product is called Xantu Layr, it is a poly-amide nanofibre sheet which when interleaved with composite will: [ul]
[li]Improve interlaminar shear
[/li][li]Improve compression after impact
[/li][li]Improve resin toughness
[/li][li]Improve flexural strength - http://youtu.be/DE4ARnSne_M Please excuse the music
[/li][li]Reduce crack propagation and delamination
[/li][li]Add almost no extra weight - between 1.5 and 4gsm depending on weight of fibre used
[/li][li]Appears to improve bond strength to foam (we are in the process of confirming this) http://youtu.be/3vyf8UbGUwQ
[/li][li]Is much safer to use compared to nano particles
[/li][li]Can be used in wet laminating, VARTM, RTM and prepreg.
[/li][/ul]

Since it is a sheet, you can use it to spot reinforce problem areas and it won’t clump or move like nano particles can. We have a customer using it to reinforce a problem spot on in a mould that would crack when demoulding, since they incorporated it they haven’t had any cracking.

A infosheet can be found here.
We are happy to sell sample packs of different gsm and lenght all the way up to 100m rolls. If you are intrested and would like more information PM me.

Very interesting!

That does look interesting… this is basically a dry material that get laid into the ply stack?

I have made a boo boo it seems and changed my email assigned to the forums, which has resulted in my “Moke” account not working at the moment. As such I can’t currently access my PM’s, so if anyone has messaged me could you please try again to this new temporary account or email me at brent at revolutionfibres.com

@Sammy - Yes it is a dry materiel that you lay down in the ply stack. It is like a very fine tissue and comes on a wax paper backing. It is so light that it is little hard to work with when peeled off the backing, however I’ve found that if you first spray tack it to the fibre or iron it to the prepreg before removing the backing it is a piece of cake to use. We can also supply it directly spun onto fibres.

What’s the pricing for you’re new fiber, is it infusion friendly, is the improvement in properties as significant for polyesters as they are for epoxy resin systems.
Sounds like a excellent product you have there.

We did have a small issue with it to start with slowing down the through thickness flow, but we found once we hit it with a spiked roller to perforate the membrane there where no problems. The fibre doesn’t move during the infusion process.

Unfortunately almost all of our mechanical testing to date has been done with epoxy. We have used it successfully with polyester resin, however we haven’t put it on an Instron yet. The nylon the nanofibre is made from is resistant to polyester resin. We do have couple of customers that are using Xantu Layr with polyester. We are happy to work with you to perfect the product.

Sorry I know I’m dragging up an old thread, but we’ve had some developments with our nanofibre reinforcement material that have improved it’s accessibility.

We have recently lunched a Xantu.Layr website, where there are instructional videos and options to buy small samples of Xantu to try out without needing to commit to a full roll. The website is: Xantulayr.com

And for those that need such things we also have AS9100 and ISO9001 Quality Management certification.

hello Brent, i am moving with your material in China. Hopefully i could get the sample kit as soon as possible. Cheers Robert

What are the AP1500, 4500, and 9000 refered to in your product brochure? Is it the layer weight/thickness?

That should be AP1500, 4500 and 3000 rather than 9000. Yes, it is the weight in mg/sqm. The guys that named it thought AP1500 sounds better than AP1.5

AP1500 is 1.5gsm
AP3000 is 3.0gsm
AP4500 is 4.5gsm

May I ask where on the website you saw it as 9000? We’d need to get it changed as we don’t make a 9gsm.

Thank you for the feedback.

There is a downloadable pdf on the website that indicates the 9000 in the stress testing graphs etc: xantulayr.com/support

This is very interesting, if you want to incorporate it with prepreg and a core (something like airex), do you put the xantu between the prepreg and the core, or over the first layer of prepreg?

Thanks, I was worried that there was 9gsm for sale. We tested up to 9gsm to see if as gsm increases, performance also increases. We found that after 4.5gsm the performance levelled off and then started to reduce, and the cost vs performance ratio gets out of control.

We have seen improvements in core bond from our customers, but we haven’t had done enough testing to publish a result. Here is a video of a guy testing the bond with foam core: http://tinyurl.com/ktj5cqx.

Unfortunately there are still gaps in our data due to the large number of different composite materials and layups. We are working to test as many combos as we can but this will take time.

stress cracked surface gel coat and visual layer. Not structural layers Wonder if this new product will work or straight switch to epoxy instead of ve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk