mold flanging

can anyone give some help or a howto on mold flanging i use claymore but in big pieces i want too many anyone can post some pics to see or give some adivice?

There are already several threads on this subject running. Here are some links

http://www.compositescentral.net/showthread.php?t=4358

and

http://www.compositescentral.net/showthread.php?t=4364

The method that you use will vary dependent upon the part and the type of flange that you require.

As Matvd there are a lot of threads on it!

Be sure to check the flange tag as well.
http://compositescentral.net/tags.php?tag=flanging

there is not so much with good pics i see http://www.compositescentral.net/showthread.php?t=4364 but the how stick the (i think its mdf) together and dot move.

I attached lightweight CSM flanges with double sided tape to a skimboard. It worked quite well. I’ve also seen people use aluminum tape to attach flanges.

In the pics in that thread i used hot melt glue sticks to hold the hardboard in place, this was also supported with ribs to stop any movement when pressure was applied during manufacture

If you use MDF you need to have a frame to support it. usually a brad nailer works good to secure it to other pieces of MDF. epoxies and fillers can seal it against your part once your done creating the flange. to shape the MDF flange use planes and chisels. I have some photos I can try to find of the process.

Here is a mold I built over 6 years ago using MDF for flanging. It was a high temp carbon mold. so the flanging need to be ridgid and leakfree and also need to break away after the top half was created so I could build the bottom half. So I chose MDF because you can get complicated shapes by planing it down in to the shapes needed while having the other criteria mentioned. Note how I did not bond in the spoiler untill after I polished up both flanging and spoiler. this makes it easier to sand/polish and keep edges sharp for proper fitting.

hmm…nevermind. It seems I have exceeded my photo capacity for this site. I would have to delete all my old photos from previous post to post new photos on here. Canyon anyway we can add more space?

use a site like flickr to put your pics then post the link to here. works well

Didn’t think anyone would hit the attachment limit. I’ll up it now.

The attachment limit for your usergroup has been increased tenfold. I was keeping it low because the images are stored in the database allowing for full database backup but high enough where I thought no one would hit it. Anyhow it’s still on database storage but I’ll be changing it to file storage later.
Sorry for the trouble. I’ll be looking into flickr integration with this forum which has a number of benefits.

Thanks Canyon

No problem. I’m guessing that a mold for a spoiler and you’re using MDF for flanging material?

yes, its a spoiler I had made for the Viper GTS, customers design. the flanging material is 3/4" MDF.

Very nice mold Hojo. What surface coat did you use for the mold?

It looks like an epoxy/aluminum coating.

yes, it is. Its huntsmans 8026, which is another number now again…

thanks for the tips guys and canyon any foto with lightweight CSM flanges with double sided tape to a skimboard to see your listen more simple hojo fotos its very helpfull but very difficult.

Unfortunately I don’t have photos of the flanges I used. Flanging itself is one of the more difficult aspects of manufacturing in regards of where to add them or where parting lines should be. There are no strict rules. To help you out what type of part are you making? I could try and give you more specific instructions.

perhaps if you post photos of the part you want to flange we could help you better. There’s many ways to flange a part, it depends on many factors in which way you do it.

giorgos sorry mate i dont really understand… you want to flange with fibreglass?
i agree with where to place them should be very thought out, it takes a little bit of trial and error…
pictures?