joining box weav carbon

Say im wanting to lay up a part that i want to clear coat. But im needing to use many joins in the carbon just because of the shape. How do i get nice join lines in the box weave do i over lap onto the first layer. how do i keep them straight.
ill try post a pic if i can find one or if you know what im on about please post a pic

Well, try not to use many pieces.
Else, when you cut the fiber, you can lay a piece of tape (blue painters tape, or something with LOW tack), then cut down the middle of the tape. when laying down the fabric (use Super77 to hold it in place), take off the tape.

OR:
Spray Super77 on the fabric, let it dry, then cut it.
I think that works too, right?

actually the easiest way is to use rice paper.

spray a light coat of adhesive on the carbon. lay the rice paper on it at the cut line and have it cover at least two inches of the fabric on the side you will be using. this will hold the weave in place. cut. the rice paper will become transparent when you wet the carbon. also rice paper is great for printing graphics or decals on and laying it on the laminate before infusion… tape is the easiest way to go for cutting but for matching pattern rice paper is the easiest. good luck mathing plain (box) weave… honestly try to get the pattern as close as you feel possible the first try…

overlapping is not a good idea if you are overlaying… only overlap when your using a mold or infusing.

you werent very specific with the process your doing

try to follow me as close as you can here as i try to describe my technique when overlapping…

i only make join lines on the first (main) pattern. its usually the first ply to go in the mold. then i lay the secondaries around it giving about a half inch to 3/4 inch of overlap along the cut (main) picture a u shaped mold for a motor cycle fender. the top or deepest section would be the main and the sides would be the secondaries. id cut the main to cover the deepest section and cut with the pattern being the same on both sides. then i would cut the secondaries to overlap the main. the main ply is the control pattern and the overlaping pieces are hidden underneath the laminate. this save time and frustration when laying up a hard part or complicated mold. having one piece to cut your joint lines also saves you alot of time trying to get the overlapping pieces in place… hope you can understand.

cool thanks thats heaps of info. would you have any pics of parts that you have had to join the carbon? And i have a mold that im vacbaging into.

mmm I’m interested too…