Infusion/foam core questions

Hello all - let me pick your brains…I’ve been out of composites stuff for so long I can hardly remember how to do this…

Question #1 - Could I use this Rmax Poly iso insulation as a foam core? Both sides have an aluminum facing which I imagine would make adhesion a bit questionable, but I think the aluminum can be peeled off.

Question #2 - This is something I just probably need to do some research/video watching on, but could I infuse a couple of layers of glass all over this foam to create the panels, then bond those panels together as shown below. Any tips or tricks that might help?

I basically want to build a box from several panels of this. My thought was to bevel all the edges at 45 deg and then bond them together like a mitered construction, probably then wet layup over these seams for some extra strength and sealing.

The eventual idea is to build a sort of teardrop camper using all fiberglass construction, so this method would be for the side walls and if I can make it work by slotting the foam so it could be bent, a curved roof and rear hatch.

For the moment though, if I can do some R&D and build a squarish one, or even a scale model for composites practice/research that would be a good start to get me back into things.

snip of foam description:
R-Matte Plus-3/Thermasheath-3 is rigid foam plastic thermal insulation board composed of environmentally sound, closed cell, polyisocyanurate foam bonded to a durable white-matte (non-glare) aluminum facer and a reflective reinforced aluminum facer. This product is suitable for use in wall sheathing applications in new residential, commercial and agricultural buildings and for thermal retrofit construction to existing buildings. This ENERGY STAR qualified R-Matte Plus-3/Thermasheath-3 provides R6 with dimensions of 1 in. x 4 ft. x 8 ft. This product is designed for exterior and interior, non-structural uses.

1 Like