In-Mold Coating arrived in America

A new formulated clear In-Mold coating is as of now available in America through German Advanced Composites.

Have you tried it out? Plans to do so?

I just ordered some :slight_smile:

Yes, I`ve been using it with great success within the production process of all my carbon fiber parts.

I’m interested in picking this up, the website says it can be brushed, but I think I’d want to use an HVLP gun to apply it to my tooling, any suggestion on what size tip I should be using with this product?

I use a gun with 1.2mm tip, works perfect. But brushing is no problem, surface of the part is mould quality.

I see it it designed for Epoxies primarily. Can it also be used successfully with VE’s?

Never tested GAC-IMC with VE.

As Dominik already said, a spray gun with a 1.2mm - 1.4mm nozzle brings perfect results. I have attached the Technical data Sheet with further information.

Thanks! I’ll likely be submitting an order this coming week.

Out of interest, how does this go with high-slip release agents like Frekote? No fish-eyeing?

You raised a good point, spraying on high-slip release agents always requires a special procedure. The first layer of IMC must be sprayed as very light mist and set before you can progress. This takes a few minutes with an IR lamp or heat. Once the mist coat has set a slightly heavier mist can be applied. Once this sets you can apply a heavier coat. Another possibility to eliminate the fish-eyeing issue is by spraying PVA on the high-slip mold release.

Looks like the in mould coating from a German supplier. If it is the same, it works good. Don’t spray to much layers because you will get tiny air bubbles in it.

^Do you mean volume per layer, or number of layers?

So how do I actually purchase this? It doesn’t appear to be available for order on the GAC site.

Nevermind, I found the thread with similar questions. GAC stopped selling the IMC, but still has the page on their site.