I want to skeletonize a speargun. First post!

hey guys! I’m new to this forum and am also new to the wonderful world of composites. now the main reasons I’m here.

I want to build a speargun. This goal is not a small one.
Spearguns are built out of carbon all the time so its not a question of Can you but its a question of how far can i push it.
how strong can one make a structure that has been skeletonized. I also realize that its all a matter of more carbon but is there any special process I need to use to make it happen.

Could a structure like those i have attached support a load of 300lbs lengthwise?

any other tips and tricks you could throw my way or maybe the title of a post you think would be good for me to read. please send my way!!!

thanks guys and girls!

Well, I do not know how they work, or where forces are applied when, but…yes, it’s a large undertaking. You need to know what areas you can take away to get an idea on the structure. ie: if you have a shock load from one area of the gun, you need more structure there, and in the right direction to the overall structure to maintain integrity.

Chances are you will need to model it in a program that allows you to see stress/strain of the layup. CATIA has an add-on that will take the load points and a shell, and then subtract areas that do not see any stress.

thanks!! ill look into the software.

Scuba
I don’t mean to dissuade you, people doing cool things are great but Catia is pretty expensive and has a super steep learning curve. People make six figures based on their Catia knowledge.

Definitely pursue this but if you’re going down this route expect to spend a lot of time learning Catia