How's business?

I just got laid off from my job at a carbon shop. I am currently in school working on my mechanical engineering degree and have also been in summer school. This had left me part time at the shop and the orders dropped off, so I and a few other guys were easy to let go, I guess. Anybody else in carbon fiber industry feeling stress of the bad economy?

and the bigger question… I feel like I got enough experience to just get my feet wet in the carbon fiber business, but I was wondering what other people with more time in the business feel about the industry and where it is going. Is this a good field to enter? If you could do it again knowing what you do now, would you choose this career path? How would you change your direction? Are there good opportunities for those interested in composites for degreed engineers (relative to other engineering jobs)? I hear that carbon should be big in the coming years, due to the need for lighter materials to increase efficiency in vehicles, buildings, etc. But do you feel there will be a market willing to pay the increased prices? To me, right now, the answer seems to be no.

thanks in advance for the replies.

In my opinion composites is a big industry and is continuing to grow. More composites are used today than ever before.

Wind turbine construction is huge right now. Aerospace is using more composites than in past years also especially in commercial aircraft, just ask TET.

Nano technology is new to composites resins and is improving strength of composites.

This is just a poor economy currently. Hang in there for a year or two and things will turn around.

Just to give you an idea… we all know how huge computer repair and software biz is… even they are struggling now. In the USA a gov’t job was about the most secure job a person could have, not today it seems almost no one is immune to the ax. It will get better, wait a year or two.

things have definatly slowed down at my shop. It is hard to sell parts to people that don’t have jobs or saving tpo protect themselves if they lose their jobs. I have expanded out to other areas and scrambled to come out with more applications of products to broaden my selling range. 2 years ago I never had to fish for orders, they just came in. Now I have to really pressure to get the sales. I am making enough to keep my doors open and materials coming but not much more. Luckly I have not had to lay anyone off but every month gets a little slower and slower. This month though was pretty good due to the fact I set up a couple big wholesale accounts

People are emailing steady now about cf jobs here… whewww:o I was worried for a long time.