Help with calculating thickness

I was just tasked with making something that doesn’t need to be exact, but needs to be close to .280 thick. He wants it to be solid fiberglass. No core material. I’ve never worked with anything this thick before.

I came up with 1 layer of 6oz and 9 layers of 20oz fabric to get close. Am I on the right track? Please tell me this stack will play nice with infusion. The part is only 6" x 18" total. So it’s a pretty small mold.

Thanks in advance!

By my calculations I’d say 1 layer of 6oz and 9 layers of 20oz will only be around 0.21". Using those same weight fabrics, 1 layer 6oz, 12 layers 20oz and 1 more layer of 6oz for balance would be what I went with.

Shouldn’t be any problem at all with infusion provided you are using a good quality infusion resin, fibreglass is pretty easy to infuse and 7mm isn’t actually very thick in the scheme of things. I think the most difficult thing will be with the size of the mould. Because it is so small, you’ve got quite a bit of laminate to wet out and there’s a good chance the resin will flow across the top of the stack much quicker than the rest of it, so you will want to slow the flow rate down and have a decent size brake zone at the end to ensure a thorough wet out.

Awesome. Thanks Hanaldo!

Hi,

0.28 is not thick. I have i fused up to 5 inch.
You can use the Saertex material calculator to calculate the thickness.
If you cut your fibers accurately and infuse the amount of resin calculated you will have the thickness you want.

https://www.saertex-leo.com/en/calculator/