Fillet wax search

So I haven’t been able to nail down a source in Canada/US for the Easycomposites yellow fillet wax.

Looking on the Freeman site they have a few options

This wax is said to have a soft sticky feel which sounds like it might be good for filleting… Any insight as to the consistency of the yellow stuff sold by easy composites?

This brown wax is said to be soft somewhat sticky and provides a good surface finish

Any advice as to which might be a suitable replacement?

Thanks!

it is from Pelikan called Nakiplast, may be that helps.

Hmmm… Would that be sticky enough to cling to the mold without pulling away? Is that what you use?

Exactly, it is soft enough to shape it and sturdy enough that it doesn’t melt, and sticky enough. Nice stuff.

Great thanks for the insight! I will look into a source.

Soft and Sticky Wax… this might be a stretch, but the wax used for a toilet flange seal meets that criteria. I’m not sure what kind of heat it’ll take, but it’s really inexpensive and can be found at any hardware store. I’m not sure what you’re building, but it might just fit the bill.
At any rate, it won’t cost much to do a quick test while you’re looking into other options… :slight_smile:

Thanks dallasab, I"m just looking for a compound to seal gaps between the tool and flanged areas. Thanks for the suggestion. The toilet wax is mega sticky! Might be a problem lol. I will drop by a HD store and reacquaint myself.

fillet wax works great, and is much better than clay. However it has a little bit more of a learning curve to use. Its all about applying the right amount of heat, if too hot it melts away and you have to start over again. Also, you will need nice metal tools for forming the wax fillets. Usually a nice ball tip tool works nice.

Thanks HOJO, any leads on where you get yours? I had scoped out the easycomposites yellow fillet wax but shipping from the UK and the ridiculous exchange rate to the Canadian dollar right now makes it prohibitively expensive (not prohibitive but unreasonable…)

I believe Hojo is talking about different stuff, like the Freeman wax fillets. These are strips of wax that are preformed into radiuses and have a ridge on the back. The idea is that you use a heat gun to soften them up a bit, push the ridge into the gap in your flanges and then smooth the edges down.

They do work well, but are a bit tricky as Hojo said. They also aren’t a solution if you are doing a split mould and need a 90 degree joint.

Yes, thats correct Hanaldo, thats the stuff I was talking about. However, you can achieve a 90 degree joint with the stuff, you just need to use a sharp tool to make it.

Since It’s near impossible to find the eccomposites type fillet way locally I’m going to try dental utility wax. It is soft and easily molded and pressed and will be easy to fillet into edges that need sealing. The melting temp is in the area of 70C. I’m assuming that it will release from resins easily as well. Even it if doesn’t it will be easy to scrape off. I will have to see if the stuff will be dissolved by the surfacing epoxies but it shouldn’t since epoxies don’t really have any solvents properties…

Also, with the quick pass of a butane torch the surface will liquify ever so slightly allowing to essentially re harden in a polished-like state.

Nice! Keep us updated. Wondering how polyester will attack things.

That I won’t be able to report on. I don’t use anything other than epoxy. Just used some of the rope wax on a different project and the epoxy released just fine.

This is just an idea but how about using automotive wax. I have not used it in this way so no experience here. But there are if you look right some hard paste like car waxes with high carnauba content relatively cheap. Say 7$ for 200 grams.
Bee’s wax would be also ok. Some mould releases are actually nothing more than Bee’s wax diluted in some volatile liquid. So get some wax at your locall bee keeper.

Got my wax. It’s nice and soft so it should be really easy to fillet into joints and at 3.5mm diameter will be really convenient. Moderate tacky so it should hold in as well. Haven’t used it t yet though.

Looks good. I’m probably going to order some type of wax to seal some multi piece molds. I’m having issues with caulk and figured wax may be the route to go with some of the seams.

Does anyone have a block of filleting wax that they would like to sell before I order?

FYI, I found the same wax that Easy Composites sells available on ebay. Pelikan Nakiplast, green, 650g. It ships from UK, but the total cost is only about $27. That’s the cheapest I’ve seen.