Fiberglass & Composite Materials... Book Review

<A HREF=“http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557882398/carbonwerksco-20”>
</A>
<A HREF=“http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1557882398/carbonwerksco-20”>
Fiberglass & Composite Materials: An Enthusiast’s Guide to High Performance Non-Metallic Materials for Automotive Racing and Marine Use</A>

This by far is the longest title for a book that I have ever read. Other than that this book is great. The book is relatively thin yet contains enough general overview to get you started. The first chapter explains the science behind composite materials and the popular types of applications. Second and third chapter explains the differences between the different types of composite materials as well as resins. The rest of the book discusses the safety caution that is crucial when working with composites and all of the common techniques. Each technique is described and explained without getting into the details. The rest of the book covers the process of mold making and mass production techniques.

The book comes with plenty of pictures and relatively large print for easy reading. The writing style is very down to earth. I found myself reading through this whole book in about an hour. After you’re done reading, this book makes a great reference guide that you can come back to from time to time.

I checked amazon.com today and seems like you can get it for about $10+ from the private sellers. Amazon’s price is only a few bucks more, which is much less than what I paid for it. If you have purchased the book, please feel free to give your own feedbacks in this thread.

Thanks,
Evan

i just ordered it. i’ll post a review once i read it. thanks.

I checked the book out from my State Library and to be honest it was quite scant. It does however have invaluable material charts and tables, but this is really only important if you are doing stress-bearing composite design. I still haven’t see an A-Z how to yet, this book explains the procedure but more from a theoretical approach. I’ve read it completely and I still am foggy about the whole process, the majority of the book is basically a Material Science primer. Its an interesting read and the fact that my State Library system had no other books on Carbon Fiber(huh?) gave me no real alternative.

I agree. If you are looking for a detail step by step instruction, this book is not for you. It’s meant to introduce a newbie into the world of composite fiberglass and how everything works. Thanks for your feedback regarding the book.

Evan

Got it in the mail from amazon a few days ago, but havent had time to read yet. I will give my review once Ive read my brake book, and then read the Composite book.

A damn good book, but more about theory and safety and less about actually what to do. My copy is well read, and worth every penny I paid for it.

Here’s another book that I’ll get into as soon as I get a chance. Great book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1859606245/102-0278523-1389773

It looks like a great book. I just ordered a copy. :smiley:

Competition Car Composites is also an excellent book, especially for the beginner, but even those of us who’ve got a little experience can learn a thing or two from that book. Simon McBeath has a web page, and he’s even responded to my e-mails when I’ve had a question. A really great guy. The only problem is that it was written in the UK and the measurements and dollar figures in his project estimates reflect this.

Other than that, these two books are must own books.

Bump to the top for newbies…great investment!