FEA of Composites

Hi

I have worked a lot with Finite Element Software such as ANSYS (2 years)

I want to try out FEM Analysis of composites. The only problem is the software asks for a lot of properties that are not available with the material supplier (Stiffness in Z-direction/out of plane stiffness, Poission’s ratio Vxz, Vyz etc.)

Can anyone suggest something ?

I have similar problem. Material database in ANSYS requires properties of lamina in 3 directions and suppliers do not have such parameters. There is difficult to find such fiber properties as G23 and Nu23. Try Autodesk Composite Simulation Design. The software database has properties of numerous fibers and matrix (including G23 and Nu23 for transversly isotropic fibers). You can find option of build UD laminas basis on micromechanics rules and even simple fabric builder (software calculate elastic properties in 3 directions). However for more accurate properties estimation of woven fabrics review CADEC - online software. I’m still looking for solution to find/estimate the accurate material properties as an imput to ANSYS material database, so would be appreciated for suggestions.

Thanks for the reply
Sorry I haven’t checked the forum in the past few weeks.
I will review CADEC and Autodesk.

Have you looked for woven composites? That’s what I plan to work in.

I think Catia V6 is suppose to have all that. Unfortunately I can only dream of have access to it.

Hello,

this is a common issue with most softwares. At CompoSIDE (www.composide.com) we addressed this by providing a baseline material database (Glass and Carbon UD’s, woven and multiaxials) to enable design engineers to get started.

Check it out and why not start your free trial.

regards
CompoSIDE

Thanks a lot. It looks good. I ll try the trial version and give you a feedback