Factory Five GTM Supercar

This thing is HOT:cool: $18-19K for the kit, then the builder needs some C5 Vette parts and engine to complete it. I want one.

http://www.factoryfive.com/gtmhome.html

Wowā€¦thatā€™s pretty much a dream car that the average guy can afford. Now, whether or not the average guy can actually build it remains to be seenā€¦but Iā€™ll keep yā€™all posted in 5 years or so :smiley:

I was considering one to have another weekend/track car, but there are a lot of details that left me disappointed. Thereā€™s a reason itā€™s so cheap.
1st. The mild carbon steel frame wasnā€™t too appealing. They were willing to make it from chromoly of my choice though.
2nd. They werenā€™t to keen on making me a setup to run a different engine. I know the twin turbo V6 I have in mind would fit without a problem, but the mounts and part locations I didnā€™t want to modify afterwards which is what they suggested.
3rd. The suspension setup still needs a bit of development. Understandably they are a small company without the resources come up with a perfect balance for all around performance. But Iā€™d have to get a suspension company to build shocks to exacting specs.

I really like the shape of the car, and the aerodynamic ideas behind it when including the essential rear wing package. They did a surprising amount of aero development, which is rare in this market segment.
But realistically, Iā€™d spend at least $60k building it properly. The brake system would be redone, and the interior needs a lot of work to be acceptable. I guess I could maybe get over the idea of having all those Corvette parts underneath!

I dunno man, 1.05 lateral gā€™s and ā€˜suspension still needs developmentā€™ donā€™t usually go together for meā€¦I know that thereā€™s more to suspension and handling than skidpad figures, but I think if theyā€™re pulling those numbers, they must be doing something right.

As for the frame, instead of going up to chromo steel, why not do something along the lines of subframe connectors in stock cars, and just weld in a few extra tubes here and there to get the stiffness youā€™re looking for? The weight gains wouldnā€™t be that bad, considering how light the car already is.

As for your choice of engineā€¦with all due respect, for someone whoā€™s willing to redo brakes, suspension, and rework the interiorā€¦why are you so set against having the frame modified for your engine of choice?

I must admit, though, a TT V6 setup would be interesting. What engine would you be using there?

Anything else they could do better? Iā€™m curious now! :smiley:

Keep in mind, this is a kit car. It comes in pieces. These changes would not be done to a complete car, rather it would simply be assembled with better components from the beginning.

1.05 Gā€™s is good for more normal road cars, but not something this wide, this light, and with these tire sizes. Factory Five knows their stuff, but theyā€™re leaving performance on the table. This type of car deserves better. Suspensions are about much more than a lone G figure. Does it pull the same Gā€™s left AND right? Is it comfortable? Does it get out of shape on irregular surfaces? The kit comes with rebound adjustable Koni shocks. Good for cheaply building a kit car, but one canā€™t half-ass these things. Rebound and compression should be adjustable, separately at low and high speed damping. Basically order the kit with no shocks, discount them from the kit price, and order proper ones for a little more.
As for the frame, why should I add subframes, extra weight, when the original structure could simply be built stronger? Or the same strength could be maintained with lower weight. Again, the mild steel is just to make the kit cheaper. Chromoly wonā€™t significantly increase the price of the finished car. My freakinā€™ race kart and atvā€™s have chromoly frames, wouldnā€™t want anything less in a car like this. And the body that covers this all canā€™t possibly be accepted in the fiberglass version they offer! Thatā€™s SOOO 70ā€™s sports cars. A carbon body is available upon request. They were willing to do this, and I liked that they were accomodating, as they should be in this market segment.
As for the preference of using a different engine, I hate Chevy motors first of all. They need a 7 liter motor to make 505hp? Yuck. One of my cars makes nearly 400hp with half that size, 3.5L naturally aspirated. A 3L engine with two turbos in the GTM could comfortably make 500 tractable hp. Iā€™m not into huge numbers, just like to make it useable. That itā€™s a smaller and lighter engine wouldnā€™t hurt either. To add to it, they spec it with an ordinary 9.5" clutch! Gimme a break, at least a 7.5" for better engine response. Again, these are not things that will really cost much more.
Now the brake system is where I would really do things differently. Iā€™d omit the entire Wilwood package, again discounting it from the kit cost, and go with higher quality stuff. Lighter hats and rotors, stiffer calipers, and better pedals/master cylinders are absolutely crucial!
Interior wise, the cheap theme of the kit continues. They can keep the seats and Autometer gauges, and Iā€™ll put that money to much better use. Carbon shell seats will not only look nicer, but be lighter and safer. The instrument issue is easily resolved with an integrated system from any one of a bunch of options. Iā€™d be embarassed when somebody says ā€œBeautiful carā€ then looks inside and frowns. Gotta have the whole package done right.
Overall I REALLY like the car, the exterior and aerodynamics being the first thing that drew me in. But donā€™t judge a book by a nice cover.
I seriously considered ordering one, and spoke to the techs at length several times. They liked the ideas I had for the build, and were eager to help on their end. Main conflict was engine mounting, which they didnā€™t want to custom make. They would provide no mounts at all, so Iā€™d just have to have them made locally with the engine/trans mocked up.
Maybe Iā€™ll get one some day, and then the issue would be find time to bolt it all together!

Very interestingā€¦clearly youā€™ve gone as deep as you can into this without actually buying one. I wonder how many are on the road today?

As for your problem with having the time to build one, Iā€™d happily do it for you, and even test it extensively, even day-to-day, all for you! And Iā€™d even do it for cheap! :smiley:

I do like the kit concept, and maybe one day Iā€™ll be able to make something like this happenā€¦but that wonā€™t be for a few more years. Stupid engineering schoolā€¦lol

When i first read that Factory5 makes the kit, i automatically assumed it would be a Mustang Chasis and engine. I was actually pleasantly surprised to hear itā€™s Corvette based parts. Ford canā€™t build a car that lasts for the life of their company. Every Ford Iā€™ve owned died at the 130K mile mark. I did regular oil and filter changes, drove them nice for the most part. I donā€™t mind mild steel tubing so long as their isnā€™t a mile of it under the bodyā€¦ mild steel tends to add a lot of weight. Chromoly is nice because you get thinner wall tubing that is the same strength or better than thick mild steel tubing, and it weighs less because of it being thinner wall tubing. Sometimes weight works for you in keeping the car planted to the ground on all four corners, especially with a lightweight composite body on the carā€¦ asuming itā€™s not heavy CSM composite.

Iā€™d love to see the car with the optional rear spoiler. It does sound like the transmission upgrade is necessary if you want to really drive the car like itā€™s meant to be. Still itā€™s out of my budget range for now.

Ummmm, I donā€™t think so. Extra weight is NEVER a good thing.

hey tet you need to look into the ultima gtr200 not the factory five with your goalā€™s. it cost more money then the gtm but it was built to be the the fastest, best handling car they could in kit car form. I personally would buy one if I could afford it but donā€™t see it happening.
btw your chevy engine comment isnā€™t entirely accurate. the 7L making 505 hp is needed to be emissions legal. and comparing your stock 7L to your now built 500hp 3.5 is fine but thatā€™s still a stock motor which is impressive. btw you might want to check weights again the gen III and IV motorā€™s are not very heavy at less then 400lbs with everything on them.

Ultimaā€™s are cool too. My company has made some parts for several builds. I just donā€™t like the looks.
BTW, I wasnā€™t comparing any built motor to the 7L. I have a stock n/a 3.5 that makes 380hp, and will do 400 with available upgrades. Sounds much nicer too.
I already have a racing vehicle for track use, so Iā€™m looking for something streetable.