Equipment talk is here now!

Ok, here’s a new section to talk about Composites & Plastics equipment and suppliers for them.

I’ll try and move some of those types of old equipment threads into here soon.

JM

I have another question about cf parts making. Is it necessary to use an autoclave for making small to medium size parts of cf - or vacuum bagging for that matter? Will i be able to obtain professional looking results just letting the part air dry?

Autoclaves are a min. of $500,000 to several million $'s each…new. This is only for true high quality aerospace parts.

You still can use CF PP with vacuum bagging and oven curing to almost get the quailty of autoclaved parts.

Vacuum bagging process (wet lay up & vac. bagged to Vacuum infusion process) is the best to eliminate air pockets which is the weak link of any composite product.

You can make quailty hand wet lay up products, but with the tighten up regs on air pullution, the move is to VIP for large production parts.

With VIP, even your neighbors won’t know you are making composites parts in your garage, if you do it correctly.

Hi:

I have used heating blankets and controllers from this company instead of an oven. These are much less expensive and do a great job.

http://www.briskheat.com/c-82-composite-curing-solutions.aspx