Composite suitability for vehicle fitout - overhead cabinets, shelving & workbench

Hi folks,

Just hoping to gain some insight from those with experience in selecting the right material for a job. We all know that as great as composites are, sometimes they’re just not the right choice or a cost-effective one.

My situation is that I’m going to be fitting out my work/play van with overhead cabinets, shelving/lockers and a workbench with drawers and some other stuff like a custom shaped nook to stash away a couple of stools.

The big question now is what material would be the best choice? Immediately I thought of aluminium to keep the weight low and reduce any future rust problems. I actually went and bought about $500 worth of ally a few months ago when I was first thinking about this - but that was basically only enough for a lightweight workbench and the plan has changed a lot since then.

Given the size of the project it’s only going to be possible if I do most of the work myself. Using aluminium means I would need to get a suitable MIG/TIG and learn how to weld.

Then I just happened to be reading something today that mentioned alloy and steel being pound for pound about the same stiffness. So I wondered about spending a bit more on steel and using a higher grade with thinner walled tubing? Maybe the learning curve on the welding wouldn’t be so much, and I already have a MIG I could use.

I had been thinking about the option of composites mainly for the overhead lockers/cabinets that I want to make with a rounded shape like the airline lockers. But then tonight I got to thinking about doing the whole lot, shelving and workbench in composites. I know it’s a lot more work to make a single piece from composites, but if I had to choose one material (ally, steel or composite) that I really want to work with and learn more about, it’s composites. Eventually I want to be able to make some money on composite projects and go into business for myself, so I figure that I should be taking every opportunity that I can get to work with it. If I went through the process and had the molds all done I’d be looking to sell a couple of parts as well.

But I have also learnt the need to be realistic, on occasion I have bitten off way more than I can chew. But at least that always ends up being one hell of a learning experience! I am fully prepared to invest the money and time to learn how to weld if that turns out to be the best option, and the same goes for composites. If that is a good option, or even just “viable” then I will commit to it and put in the time to get it done.

So - what do you guys think? I’m not even sure on what kind of composite construction I would use, for instance whether I would make the bench out of one large mold or just cut down sandwich panels to size and affix them using ally angle and something like 3M VHB tape (or another adhesive)?

Thanks for reading, I would really appreciate any input.

Cheers,

Conrad

It’s all a tradeoff, mate :slight_smile: Depending on what you want to physiclly do, composites would be lighter weight. You can just mold flat panels and rivet/bolt/glue them together to make a structure, like a table, or storage rack. A simple CF plate that has some metal shelf brackets…it would be light weight. However, it would be more expensive than steel or aluminum.
As for making it…the more complexity you have, the harder it is to make. Making a mold for each part, and then finishing all the edges will take a lot of time and money, vs. just welding or bolting things together. It all takes capital investment of some kind (welding, riviter, cutters, VARTM stuff, bagging material, etc etc)

Now, if you have an interest in making a lot of other things later, that capital investment will be put to good use. Maybe start making parts of the vehicle out of composites (like a camper. Just buy the frame, and make your own body, etc) will be something you can do later.
Or make a ton of awesome looking cabinet sets, and sell them.

Thanks riff42. I started learning more about 3M VHB tape and I’m gaining confidence in it as a sole attachment method. But the idea of using a CF/fibreglass plate and forming a shelf with metal brackets, attached with VHB or some other adhesive - would you consider that “good practice”? I just don’t want to start taking shortcuts, if it’s not the “done thing” then I’m sure there’s a good reason for it…? Or is the only difference one of aesthetics and time/ease of assembly?

Well it looks like composites is the way I’m going to go, I see the investment there as being much more useful in the future. I guess I’ve just gotta draw up plans for the items I need and then I can get down to the decision of fully molded Vs. panels & brackets, adhesives etc.

this sounds like a good project… I’ve thought about doing this myself for trailer applications. It’s on my list of things to do. So far I’ve just done some early testing for foam cored panels but It does seem to a promising direction. It’s a fairly good sized project and will take much more time than using wood or aluminum. If you plan on doing more than just your own van in the future, it would be a worthwhile project.