Composite Race Car Bodies

here’s some kleenex " in case you blow your wad."

These things are awesome…

http://www.compositeshop.com/Products/Carbon_Fiber_Drag_Race_Bodies/carbon_fiber_drag_race_bodies.html

By blow my wad do you mean vomit?

I’ll be needing more than just a kleenex.

How do they call themselves a composite shop? Composite campsite would be more accurate.

These guys do legit work

http://www.atrgroup.it/eng/atrcomposites/automotive.htm

If you looking for the best carbon drag race bodies go to www.timmcamis.com . I am the composites supervisor for this company. We build some good quality bodies and parts hands down in our little market segment. But definitely not at aerospace or F1 level.

I got flamed :smiley:

Boy! A man could have a shtload of fun spendin’ a shtload of money on that site! Sweeeeet!

yea, everything we sell is high end. you should see the race cars they build here, they are perfect. the chassis are amazing. great attention to detail

both of those companies have some cool stuff going on. I’m liking the carbon fiber monocoque chasis for that porsche ( if that is a Porsche?)

well, i’m off to buy plumbing fittings to get my vac pump set up working.

Back in the late '70’s hojo I worked in a race car fabrication shop. Their first dally with any form of composite was the conversion of my 1970 - 340 Six Pack Duster to all (well almost all) glass panels, bumpers, hood, door skins and trunk lid. We managed to get the car down to about 1800 lbs and with the bone stock 340 six pack she ran an honest 11.5 at about 110 mph. Other than a few vette’s that happened in for repairs or whatever mine was the only (mostly) glass street car in the area. I still have that car tucked away but the glass panels are pretty much scrap, they’ve all buckled and cracked. Gawd knows what kind of resins they used back then. The glass is all a fairly heavy woven roving with a chopped matt near the surface. I imagine it was all done with chopper guns back then.

thats great! just think how much weight you could of saved if that had been a carbon fiber bodie. Are carbon bodies are around 80lbs(unoffically)

I’d venture a guess that the hood was at least 60 to 70 lbs and the fenders were quite substatial too, probably 30 to 35 each. The door skins were pretty light and they’re the ones that have all warped and cracked. At that time had CF been available I probably would have bought it!

ha, I think its time to renovate the old baby back to life, pull some molds and make a carbon body for her