Composite business

I have been in the aviation realm of composite repair and modifications for the past 7 years. I have always wanted to create my own business and I have decided I am going to take the plunge. I would like to begin with an open mind and not just plunge solely into aircraft repair. Are there any areas where you guys have made some money or at least there are customers at?

Would any of you spare any advice? What was the biggest challenge you faced that you did not expect?

I have made some custom parts but nothing for purchase, how is it typically billed for the tool?

I do appreciate any advice.

Firstly, well done: it can be a very rewarding experience. Advice wise, so many people could give you so much but there’s only so much you can be told before you have to just take the plunge as you are doing!
Build up your business as much as possible alongside your current job and then take the plunge when you can no longer cope with the workload of two jobs! This way you can look to put in as much of the non paying groundwork as possible while you still have a salary.
Repair wise, could be a good few things to look at, particularly road/MTB bikes, wind turbine, etc.
Good luck

Stepping out into the unknown is a very exciting time, also very nerve racking as well. Findhan is right in saying don’t quit your day job until your night job is ready to be your day job. I have done my composite businesses both ways and I can tell you for certain, a steady paycheck while developing a business is much better than cold turkey. Saying that everyone’s situation is different. FAA repair is tricky to get into and start up as you have to have all the required certifications, however, if you are doing this presently, you know what those certs are. I helped a friend of mine start up his mobile repair company in Alaska and has been greatly successful thus far. We both worked for a major Aero company and his specialty was in repair. We developed business plan and customer base interest while working. I helped him get the equipment needed and the paperwork to be certified to repair several different airframes. It is a risky business from liability standpoint but if you are willing to travel and good at what you do, a very profitable one. Just my $.02