Carbon truck fenders

Hey guys,

I dont show off many of my projects but thought I might put one or two of them out there… This is my pickup that I have been building for years. After opening a composite shop, I figured that it would be smart to use my ride for advertising while also showing off our abilities. Resin infused and shot with matte finish clear. Please let me know what you think good and bad.

Cool. Do the whole truck one piece at a time and pretty soon you’ll have a kit you can sell.

Those look great and are pretty damn cool!

That’s awesome.

Thanks guys!

Love it. I really like seeing carbon on classics.

Looks great! what are your go to resins, release agents and carbon?

We mostly use VE infusion systems with clear marine gel coat. I have had good luck with Chemlease release agents for years. Almost every mold gets 2 coats of the EZ sealer and 3-4 coats of the 70-90 release agent. As for Carbon, we keep a lot of 3k plain and twill in stock as well as 12k PW and TW. These fenders are 3K plain (because it is easy to lay it in the mold without many imperfections) with a 3k backer followed by one layer of 2mil soric core and then 2 more layers of 3k.

THat sounds like it will be plenty rigid and strong!

What do you notice for flexibility of the freestanding part?

The overall stiffness wasn’t all that bad but they are a lot bigger than they look and completely open on one side so flexibility is kind of relative. Once they are bolted on, they are very firm. Does that answer your question?

Ya I just wanted an idea for motorcycle side panels if using the same layup schedule, thanks!

Nice work!