Carbon fuel tanks

I made some carbon fuel tanks for Suzuki models and I did make some pictures. They are all made with infusion.

Gsx-r 1000 2009 / 2015

Gsx-r 1000 2007 / 2008

Gsx-r 600 / 750 2006 / 2007

very nice work !

sweet man ! how much does a tank go for ?

Very nice!

A carbon fuel tank is one project I’d love to have a go at. The brass(or steel) inserts for the bolts - do you put those in during the lay up process or bond them in after the part has cured?

Quality.
Chris

Thanx !

Thanx ! If you are interested you can send me a pm.

The brass and aluminium parts are put in during layup, exept for the last tank. There they are bonded after.

Thanx !

Looking through the pictures again and the fuel tanks look even more impressive!

Thanks for the reply.

Hehe thanx

Nice work! I like it very much. It shouldn’t have been easy to drape such a large piece of fabric with so little wrinkles. Did you you use a special fabric maybe?

I was wondering - are your fuel tanks affected by ethanol in fuel? (I’ve read that ethanol eats/dissolves resin) If not, how have you managed this?

Thanx. It isn’t easy and I’ve used no special fabric, just have patience and practice.

No, there are resins that can handle some % of ethanol. There are also some fuel "resistant"resins that can handle it but lose some strenght.

Thanks Michiel. I am aware of 1 resin that is meant for fuel tanks. It is made by Sicomin. I didn’t want to ask too much just in case you thought I was trying to find out your secrets! haha

Sicomin has a fuel “resistant” resin but it will soften with ethanol.

You can ask about my “secrets” but I won’t tell them :D.

There are several possibilities to make a carbon fuel tank ethanol resistant. The way I like is to bring in a PE powder by eletrostatic usage and then melt a PE Tank in the carbon. :slight_smile: