Carbon Frame / Swingarm on Ducati 999

Lots of carbon fairings - wheels - bits but not to many frames & wheels.

Thought some might enjoy.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcyclenews/view/first_look_befaster_carbon_ducati_999/6274.html&source=weeklyemail&attr=news

Personally, I think that looks ugly. It’s gotta be painted, or at least use a more visually appealing (and stronger) weave. Great weight savings though, although I question the strength and rigidity of the composite frame made by a random company.
Carbon wheels still scare me. Degraded epoxy, voids, or poor bonding prep can be disastrous! I have magnesium wheels on my Duc and one of my cars, and they’re light enough.

Composite wheels and frames should be ultrasonic tested.

The frame and wheels are a cool idea though. I would like to see a c/f frame on a ZX14 or a Hayabusa motorcycle to cut down on weight. Ducati’s have a beautiful frame stock.

I’ve seen GSXR frames made of c/f. I never did see a price on one.

Those wheels are not from that shop - They are (BST) Blackstone Tek which have been around awhile. Lots of guys use them with no complaints but I know what ya mean about the unsafe feeling with them over time. At nearly $4000 you would want them to last forever.

Here is some info on them:

BST wheels are all one piece pre-preg construction. They are "cooked " in an autoclave for over four hours under 6 bar of pressure.

A few other good ones.

:smiley:

Found this today - thought I would share.

Very nice work someone did there with that airbox. Mike, check out that gold frame/CF R1 on that guy’s photobucket album! I want that bike!:smiley:

I just got an idea! Thanks for the posts.

That Ducati sure is nice. I want to buy another sportbike to replace the one I sold. Thinking of Ducati I don’t want one just because they aren’t as reliable as I would like. Ducati has made a vast improvement in engine design in the past 6 years or so. It used to be the engines leaked oil, top end engine rebuilding was common after 10,000 miles. Cam belts need replacing often etc.

I still like them but not from a practicallity point. I’m thinking I want my next bike to be a 2007-08 Yamaha R1. Change the oil and filter, clean and oil the chain regularly, lube cables once or twice, and it won’t have any maintenance need for probably 20K miles. Plus the thing is an outright rocket with around 150rwhp.

Ok i’m done blah blahbla