Carbon Fiber Wheelchair

This is the most recent of several I’ve built over the years. For those who are familiar with wheelchair specs, this one is for a 16"x16" cushion size; uses a single piece, angle adjustable 15" tall backrest assembly; a solid surface cushion base and footplate; 4" casters with suspension forks and 25" rear wheels. The headline number for a lightweight wheelchair is the “transfer weight” or the weight of everything except the rear wheels and cushion. This chair came in at just under 11lbs. The caster/fork assemblies are 1.5lb heavier than I normally use, but these do soften the ride quite a bit.

Ben

That’s wonderful work. Without asking any trade secrets, how do you do the tubing elements?

I use bladder molding for the tubular components. I detailed the process in a thread on this forum a while back.

I’ll search around. Again, great work indeed.

Nice man, thanks for sharing!

Found your thread about the tubes. Detailed the process you did indeed! Thanks for that thread and showing your work, brilliant.

Really nice work. Thanks!

Nice work, looks really good.

Nice work.

super nice!

Thanks for the compliments!

This chair is performing flawlessly, even under pretty harsh use.

That’s a wonderful work! I’m going to read the whole process :wink:

What an excellent idea and great execution. It not only looks like great work but the use of cf will obviously be of benefit to the user.

There is a lady who lives on my street with an amazing cf prosthetic leg. It’s so well designed, light and strong that I had no idea it wasn’t a real leg until I saw her walking her dog wearing shorts one day.

Great work!

That’s great, how much does it weigh?

Just under 11lb. (excluding rear wheels and cushion). aka “transfer weight”.