Carbon fiber headphone jack

Not the most advanced carbon fiber job but makes for one heck of a good headphone jack. I wrap it with carbon fiber tow while adding composite then file down size. Also add my own silicone stress relief with small clamps, glue and shrink tube. If you don’t know these small headphone jacks are notorious to break, this makes them indestructible! Pays off also, I sell the same headphones for $30, with this upgrade I get $50!

Is that the finished product?

Yes for now. Trying to find a better way to evenly grind the carbon fiber to a perfect circle and have the jack be centered with it.

Awesome you found a way to make those things last longer than a month like mine always do. Too bad you cant put that thing on a lathe.

If you want to get a nice, concentric round finish, try using the poor man’s lathe (an electric drill) with a file or sand paper

Except how do you do that with a 6ft cord and this is on either end? I guess you could put jack end into the drill then place end of cord 3/4 through like a box or something with hole in it. Some way of preventing a 6ft cord slapping you in face. :cool:

Yes these little jacks get destoyed if you use them with the device in your pocket. The more stress on the jack while sticking out of the device the quicker it developes a short!
I have some idea’s but am too busy with other things to make time. I figure if I can mount a dremel with the right tip and make some kind of mount I can get it even by lathing then spin it, lathe, spin…

A file is what I have been using. I just ordered some jewlers files, hope they will work better.

Yes, lol. It would be like a dangerous whip or something:D

Here is my other cheaper style mini jack. This one is just a plastic tube filled with composite then I crimp the silicone stress tube to the wire and add other composite to hold it in place then add a shrink tube. Still above and beyond the strength of a stock jack.

make a jig to hold the jack stationary, now make a jig to hold a dremel while and alowing it to make a single concentric revolution around the jack while it’s running… in effect making the lathe turn around the part…

My newest version of the jack. This one has a better stress relief sleeve and able to make them much more quickly.