Best Vacuum Bagging - Puncture Resistant

Hi,
What is the best puncture resistant bag would you recommend?

Stretchlon, Wrightlon or Ipplon??

I do room temp curing and considering the Wrightlon is it good?

Looking for mainly puncture resistant…

Also, polyethylene, nylon or polyurethane??

Any bag from a reputable company should be good for use. It really depends on your applications. If you are looking for something because you have a rough mold or envelope bagging without doing an inner bag I’ve used a variety of items to help my bag not get poked from tape, caulk, and even an entire layer of peel ply on the back.

Don’t go for Strechlon if you want puncture resistance, it is super easy to puncture. Personally I like Wrightlon, it is very tough but I can understand people’s complaints that it isn’t flexible enough, it can be a bit of a chore to layup complex parts. Certainly not impossible, you just need to use a bit more bag, and I actually like how stiff it is.

Personally my favourite bag and the only stuff I use at the moment is Cytec’s Vacfilm 450. Excellent elongation and flexibility, really tough to puncture unless it’s bridging, and cheaper than the Airtech stuff. It is hydrophilic so it dries out in the oven, but I’ve never liked reusing vac bag film. You’re doing ambient cures anyway so that’s not a concern for you.

I heard the same about puncture for thr stretchlon… out of my list then… the Ipplon seems to have the same specs so out also.

The writhlon is currently on top of my list… you think it can be reused??

I also heard that by spraying water (after bagging process) it will help soften it…

Wrightlon can be reused no problem, it’s actually somewhat easier to use because it doesn’t hold creases as much.

And yes, water acts as a plasticiser. The more humid the environment, the more pliable it will be, the drier the crispier. You can mist it with water to soften it up quite a lot.

Awsome!!

Another question, have you guys ever seen the Wrightlon 7400 with “EMBOSSED” pattern??

http://www.airtechonline.com/Airdraw2_Wrightlon7400

Would that work for Infusion?? Avoiding the need for Flow media and peel-ply?? (I dont care if the infusion is really slow as I am currently slowing it alot as we speak…)

Tks!

Best I have used is capran 650 but it is expensive
I’m uk based and use vac innovations for my bagging materials an They are as good an cheap as you will find
Any job I’m doing the first thing I do is cut my bag and water must spray it and fold it up and leave it to “soak” when you come to use it your bag is subtle an easy to use

Previous place I worked at used the Ipplon stuff. As long as you had enough bag to not cause any bridging, there were very few issues. If you cut the bag and laid it out before laying up the part, it would go nice and soft and make it a joy to bag up complicated pieces as you could easily shape it.

Tks,
Any thoughts about the 7400 embossed patterns to negate the needs for flow media in infusion?

FYI,
I just spoken to an Airtech rep. Looks like this is not a good idea as the resin will stick to the embossed vacuum bagging material, so resin would not flow…

NBF-150 from Northern Composites in North Carolina is my new favorite film. Works well up to 300F and has great softness and elongation. I use 250F cure prepreg and do wet lay. Works really well for both processes and isn’t susceptible to punctures. Feels a lot like Airtech Stretchlon 800 to me. Affordable, too - less than Airtech.

Is that the yellow stuff from Italy? I use to buy this stuff from Northern back when I was in the US. It was my favorite, very reliable and cheaper than all the others.

This stuff is blue. Here’s a link: https://northerncomposites.com/partners/nci/bagging-film

I know it’s imported, but I don’t know from where. I’ve used HS-8171, and tried a sample of Stretchvac 2000 also from Northern. Stretchvac works to 400F but feels about the same as the NBF-150, so it’s not worth the extra cost since my max cure temp is 250F. 8171 is too thick and brittle feeling for my taste.