1 inch x 1 inch tube

hmm…wonder if we have any of that stuff laying around for the singhar whips we make.
i’ve seen the same 4 rolls of crazy expensive FG prepreg rolls sitting in the production room, since I started in feb. I’m guessing it ain’t good anymore :slight_smile:

If the CF PPreg has not been frozen…stick a fork in it, it’s done!

But we are still using a roll from more than a year ago in the classroom, but it is not the best but still works very good!

And yes, it has been frozen all this time.

YOU MAKE SINCGAR WHIOPS???

I love you, I love you, I love you (can you tell I’m in the military?)

The metal (short) whips SUUUUUUUUUCK

Wow. I didn’t know they had a bloody cult following!! An old friend of mine (EMT, Ham op, and antartica nut (been there 4 times already)), was saying the same thing, and that he wanted one!
sincgar…I need to remember how to spell it too :slight_smile:
but yes, we make them here, metal and fiberglass ones. Not that I would call a 1"dia fiberglass rod a “whip”!!!

I just noticed that the orginal poster may have meant 1" x 1" square tubing and if so, you will need 4x half rounds with a flat for each side before the wrapping. Dunstone does have a great information fller / handout with drawings of this but I don’t have one here right now…

Do you mean for the inside mandrel?
Is that to get a larger radius on the corners than you would if square hollow tube was used?

No, it would be on the outside as when the tape shrinks to apply pressure, it only does so on the edges and not all around a square tubing.

I forgot to grab that information form my classroom tonight…maybe I have the masters here…?

haa!! I “borrowed” a roll of shrink tape (dunno what brand, but about 3/8" wide, thin, and ALL MIIIINE!!) from our other old projects in the company. Did your tube instructions, and wow…I’m glad I asked for some of that tape!!!
Although, since I can’t take it out at the cure temp, I stick it in our deepfreezer, then hit it off the tube!

Now, what the hell can I use CF tubes for?

Hey, thanks for the tip about using the freezer! See, this forum works! I tell me students to never stop learning and this is a perfect example! :smiley:

If you stated that in my classroom, I’m for sure some of my students would say “A water BONG”!:o

SPeaking of tubes.

Since I’ve done at least 20 feet of tubing in the last few months.
How the heck did you get it off with teflon under the prepreg? When I did that, it stuck on the wrinkles, and wouldn’t come off.

I just mold release the tubes, and pull them off hot.

Good point…but the alum. will expand more in the oven and after cooling from the heating cycle in the oven, it shrinks up.

Another member stated on here to throw a stuck on one into the CF PP freezer and it then slides right off.

I agree, it is better to just use the mold release wax, but students wouldn’t listen and not use anything…then we had CF wrapped alum tubes!:eek:

We did some 3 x 3 tubes using a diagonally split mold and a silicone rubber core with a steel rod in the center of the core. We wrapped the carbon fiber around the silicon rubber and then slipped both halves of the mold together. we realized there would be a pinch off at opposing corners of the mold and left a >030 inch gap at the edges so it could close without problems. we then infused from the low end up the mold to the top. We left a thin area at the extreme edge of the mold where we are pulling air from and placed peel ply to the same thickness so we couldn’t pull resin as quickly through the peel ply.
This made some very nice parts with a small edge that needed sanding, but once it was clear coated we had clear inner and clear outer tubes.

Ah. Students not listening. Sounds like my employee and engineer.

I have a few CF wrapped tubes, which have gone into my supervisor’s LARPing hobby.
SO has many things…like an astroquartz shield. Talking about an expensive hobby, a 500$ shield to get hit with foam sticks.
bloody geeks.

gotta save this idea.
We need to make a 14" by 24" tube for a housing, but he wants me to inner vac bag it. I’ve never done that. might be easier to get a silicone bladder. Hmm.

how did you clearcoat the tubes? Every time I try to do that it just sags to the bottom. I need to clearcoat a few rings.

where would i buy a 4" diameter silicone bladder or suitable bladder? I want to make tubes but they are not straight tubing, there is a couple bends.

Try Bondline maybe?

So the Dunstone tape won’t stick to prepreg?

Nope and very easy to use. Even HS students that would listen could do it!

I still have some rolls around here that was donated to my program…pay for shipping and 1x roll until they are gone…

make sure it’s the release coated shrink tape!!! I have a few tubes that have non-release (or the wrong side) stuck to the tube!

Been there and made that mistake too with the wrong side of the shrink tape:rolleyes: